Narrowband

Short stints

Ger

Because of the longer days, shorter nights and having a young family I can only do some very shorts stints in the garden but at least my first session in two weeks was worth the wait.

Looking at the moon I enjoyed picking up all recommended targets in turn left at Orion, my personal favourite was Clavius and all its small craters. 

I turned my attention to Jupiter as always I picked up the north and south eq. Belts and south tropical belt  ( which was a first ) before the wind picked up, this made things a little tricky so I finished up my short but productive session.

Quick question, how would I know when the GRS is in a position to be viewed by the telescope. Looking forward to catching a glimpse

Cheers

Ger 

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Nice little session Ger. I am very similar in that quick snatched sessions are often all I can manage, young family too.

This site is handy for tracking when GRS is visible, as well as other transit/eclipse events on Jupiter.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/wp-content/observing-tools/jupiter_moons/jupiter.html

Thanks stu 

Actually I think I linked to the moons pages not the GRS calculator. I think you need to create a login profile to access it but that's easy enough.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/celestial-objects-to-watch/transit-times-of-jupiters-great-red-spot/

Skysafari also allows you to find the times quite easily, and there are other phone apps such as JupiterMoons which does the same.

Stellarium can be a little flakey on this GRS timings so I don't use it (for that)

Thanks again stu, I have registered with sky and telescope and will have to sit down later of go through this very useful website, it looks really good

Ger

9 hours ago, Astro Imp said:

It's not the length of the session that counts it's the enjoyment you get from it.

I will second that one! Early mornings at work, young families, life, etc (apart from bad weather and northern summer twilight, that everyone knows about) put limits on the amount of observing time and the type of observing we do. Nothing beats enthusiasm though, and we can almost always dodge life and get those wonderful 15/20 min under the skies before going to bed!

Archived