Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Folding Dob Booster

Mognet

Being a mere 6ft and a standing observer I found my SW 200P dob a bit on the short side. I'd tried a chair, but it was a bit wobbly and needed moving to get a full view, and a water butt stand just wasn't high enough. So I used some left over 2x2 to build a folding stand.

It's not exactly elegant, but it does the job :icon_biggrin:

20170422_192948.jpg

The photo is of the first version, which was too high and not wide enough. I took it apart and rearranged it so it was wide enough and lower. Seems much more stable now, and it passed the tilt and wobble test this time

This weekend I need to do something about making sure it stays in the right position when open. It should be fine after that, even when used by someone as careless as me!

2 minutes ago, estwing said:

good luck!

Thanks! If my carpentry skills are anything to go by I'm going to need it :icon_biggrin: I managed to break a ratchet screwdriver and a drill while making it

I've reworked it a bit so it's more stable, and I don't have to stand on tiptoe to use it at certain angles!

So...lessons learnt:

• Make the stand wider than the base
  • Measure the view height using the longest eyepiece and adaptor. And don't forget that you also need to be over it to look into it!
  • Put the feet on the very extremes of the base
  • Positioning stops on top are also a good idea
  • Make sure that it's easy to get into an equilateral triangle and stay in position

This version is definitely better. There's hardly any wobble now and it will probably need a good shove to tip it over. Neighbours probably thought I was a nutter for dragging the tube round in circles lots while shaking it, but I needed to prove that it wasn't going to fall off easily :laugh2:

20170506_201359.jpg

20170506_201419.jpg

Archived