Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

GRS transit-C14 Edge

Barv

Hi Guys

A clear night back on the 8th April with some unheard of reasonable transparency too! I managed to capture the GRS transit. 

Taken with the C14Edge and a ZWO224 coloured camera, de-rotated in Winjupos. Looks far better on higher res monitors.

I don't spose they'll be too many more chances this apparition, with the next one looking a lot less favourable too!

Clear Skies everyone!

All the best

Harvey

50000.jpeg.225f436fcc760d75e32bbab1a644cd88.jpeg

reduced2.jpeg.cc92725c44d4dde84ddad4286688549d.jpeg

reduced.bmp

Well done Harvey some good detail coming through, its not been a great Jupiter season has it, we must take our chances when we can & when conditions allow but im not holding out to much hope to be honest, next year it will be well in the mirk at around 21 degs!

6 minutes ago, si@nite said:

Well done Harvey some good detail coming through, its not been a great Jupiter season has it, we must take our chances when we can & when conditions allow but im not holding out to much hope to be honest, next year it will be well in the mirk at around 21 degs!

Yes I agree Simon, probably best to take up something else till about 2023, - like Aero-modelling or something!

Regards

Harvey

43 minutes ago, spaceboy said:

Those C14 sure do offer some superb planetary images. How do they perform visually ??

Yes they perform pretty well once cooled. There is a lot of glass there and an enclosed tube which doesn't help. I think I'd prefer a good Newtonian to be honest. What with the reduced size of the secondary etc, - I've had to do a lot of mods on mine!

Regards

Harvey

14 hours ago, Barv said:

Yes they perform pretty well once cooled. There is a lot of glass there and an enclosed tube which doesn't help. I think I'd prefer a good Newtonian to be honest. What with the reduced size of the secondary etc, - I've had to do a lot of mods on mine!

Regards

Harvey

Hi Harvey. What Problems have U had with the C14Edge. The C14 & the C14 Edge ,

are not a lot of difference in price. It would go nicely on the EQ8 mount. 

1 hour ago, Grotemobile said:

Hi Harvey. What Problems have U had with the C14Edge. The C14 & the C14 Edge ,

are not a lot of difference in price. It would go nicely on the EQ8 mount. 

Where doI start?

I have persisted with mine, - determined not to give up like so many others have. Chris Garry, (he wrote the great program Pipp) for one left his on his floor for a very long time. - Not sure if he uses it now. Cooling the optics and air turbulence in the tube are the biggest problems. I had to drill a 3" hole in the side of the tube and insert a fan to eliminate the tube currents. I also purchased a fan kit from the states and inserted a push pull fan into where the only vents are at the bottom of the tube. The Edges in particular are much worse than the normal ones for planetary as there are optics inside the baffle tube. The normal C14's don't have this so it's possible to poke a fan up inside to assist with the cooling. The only thing the edges offer is a flat field of view which is of course much better for deep sky, - BUT, this scope isn't ideal for deep sky imaging even with a reducer in the train, - as the focal ratio is still only around F7.7. You would be better off replacing the C14 with a shorter f ratio scope for deep sky imaging.

Hope this all helps?

Regards

Harvey 

Nicely done Harvey, a decent image. It's good to see you getting some better conditions to work with as it's been tough so far and the few days around this period seem to be about the best we have had. I admire your persistence in getting results from the big scope also.

Pete

Lovely set of images. They look a bit too far towards the yellow in colour balance. They would be improved with a shift towards blue/cyan.

The C14 is a great imaging and visual scope and deep sky for galaxies and smaller objects.

Best regards

Peter

Archived