Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

White light film?

nightfisher

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd use Baader ... It gets good reviews almost universally. The ES polymer is similar to that marketed by two or three other manufacturers and it gets mixed responses.

They're cheap enough products - perhaps you could make two different filters and do an unbiased comparison test here ... :-)

AndyG

Jules, I have a well made DIY solar filter (not the one for the ED100) that was given to me when I bought the old Konus scope. It has an internal diameter of 145mm which I imagine will fit over the "scope with no name" (Clint?) but it could be easily sleeved down. It looks in good nick to me. I'll post a pic to you if you are interested. Free if you want it.

As the late David Coleman would say - "remarkable"!  As to Clint,  will it be "for a few dollars more" or just a "fistful of dollars" . I think the good, the bad and the ugly, is best left out of it!

Don't do it !!!!

It seems like an innocent dabble.......

Solar film is an entry drug.....

Like you I thought, "what's the harm? I can handle it"...

A four figure sum later..

I get FANTESTIC SOLAR VIEWS.

Go for it!

Paul

9 hours ago, Paul73 said:

Don't do it !!!!

It seems like an innocent dabble.......

Solar film is an entry drug.....

Like you I thought, "what's the harm? I can handle it"...

A four figure sum later..

I get FANTESTIC SOLAR VIEWS.

Go for it!

Paul

Dont panic, i can assure you that my Solar interest is very limited, i have dabbled over the years both visual and imaging but can take it or leave it

29 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

I seem to recognise that! I didn't realise it was you that bought the Konus :icon_redface:

Hi Shane, we never met when I bought the Konus, way back then, as my son collected it, but since then putting things together, emails long since deleted, I've sometimes wondered whether it was you. Jules will be happy that it comes from a well trusted source.

My answer is a bit off-topic, but I prefer to write it anyway. 

I use a Lunt Herschel wedge for solar observation with my refractor. It is clearly more expensive than a solar film, but it is safer (less risk of failure) and the views it delivers are awesome in my opinion. I have never regretted this purchase. Although not a solar ocd person, I found that about half of my observations are spent on the Sun. Your new refractor can deliver outstanding views of this target. 

Piero 

Sure :icon_salut:, I wasn't pushing, but just mentioning this filter too. :) 

Jules, if it happens that you come down to Cambridge, while I am still here, I can show you the Sun with mine wedge. :) 

Shane hit the nail on the head, i wont spend much cash on an area i wont visit to often, and Solar is something i just dabble with, half heartedly  but thanks for the offer Piero

+1 for badder, fantastic stuff, but as others have said starts with film and before you know it you have gone Quarkers I did and the tablets don't work :help:, mind you when I first got my lunt wedge it was a big step forward. goodluck Jules. charl.  

49 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

+1 for badder, fantastic stuff, but as others have said starts with film and before you know it you have gone Quarkers I did and the tablets don't work :help:, mind you when I first got my lunt wedge it was a big step forward. goodluck Jules. charl.  

I can assure you i wont be delving any deeper than plain white light, so no wedges or any other option

On 5/5/2017 at 08:17, Moonshane said:

I seem to recognise that! I didn't realise it was you that bought the Konus :icon_redface:

Shane, you got the dimensions just right for the solar filter to fit Clint :icon_biggrin: 

solar filter.JPG

Result Jules. I would though highly recommend a green filter #58. I would have said a Baader continuum but I don't feel they perform as well with solar film as they do in a wedge. Plus a wratten filter can be picked up at a fraction of the cost of a SC filter. The #58 is available on eBay with a quick search.

You may find it is a #56? The #58 is dark green and not as commonly found in ep kits as the #56. You could though try the #56 but I'm not sure how it would compare to the darker #58 for improving contrast ???

Archived