Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M57

cuivenion

I thought I''d have a stab at a bit of EAA at the end of a Jupiter imaging session:

Stack_25frames_375s.thumb.jpg.11ef1e534c14b641a6e5275a996654c4.jpg

M57 25 x15 seconds using an Altair GPCAM V1 in a Skywatcher 200p on an AstroEQ Vixen GP. Taken on 02/05/2017 at 3:20am. The image was captured using Sharpcap live stacking. I need to review how I do EAA, especialy how I use the histogram in Sharpcap, but I still like this image.

There was no post processing only gamma and black level adjustment at the time of capturing in Sharpcap. Comments and critiscism welcome!

Great capture.   Was the nebula visible initially  on 15 secs on the laptop   or did you find that you had  to locate it using a longer exposure  ?

Is a short exposure better for the live stack  in SharpCap?  ie  ( better Signal / Noise )  and more stacked the merrier !!

Sean.

18 minutes ago, Craney said:

Great capture.   Was the nebula visible initially  on 15 secs on the laptop   or did you find that you had  to locate it using a longer exposure  ?

Is a short exposure better for the live stack  in SharpCap?  ie  ( better Signal / Noise )  and more stacked the merrier !!

Sean.

Yeah M57 was definitely visable after 15 seconds. The 200p is a relatively large, fast scope though.  Shorter exposures are generally used for EAA because you're trying to view your target as close to real time as possible and also EAA is often done with unguided mounts. The more frames you stack the better, wether the exposures are long and short. Results are going to vary widely across different mounts, scopes and camera's.

That being said I have used exposures of up to a minute for fainter objects such as the Horsehead nebula, it really is up to you and how long you want to wait for an image.

30 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Very nice capture, I think you have also managed to pick up the mag 14 galaxy IC1296 at about 10 o'clock half way out to the edge of the frame. :thumbright:

Thanks Robert.

Archived