Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Does anyone have any recommendations for good quality home planetarium

It looks like my 2,5 years daughter shows an interest in learning astronomy. Already knows names of all planets and most important moons of solar system. 

I would like her to learn constellations (she can already identify Orion) and I thought apart from showing her patterns on the sky as well as on the piece of paper it would be nice to get home planetarium. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for good quality one?

Easy one for a PC or laptop is Stelarium. It is free and does a good job. There is Cartes Du Ciel also, which again is free. Check out both and decide which is best for yourself.

For a tablet or phone then Sky Safari 5 (costs you money), there are 3 variants and many (myself included) find the 5 Plus version about the best for overall value. Although it will cover more I suspect then your daughter needs. So maybe the least costly SS5 will be adaquate. By the way the "least" costly is only a few Euro, so not a lot, just the wording previous still sort of sounds like it is more.

Since the first 2 are free and are for a PC/laptop then maybe do as most and get Stellarium/Cartes Du Ciel and also SS5 for when you are outside.

There are number of free phone apps but I tried most and uninstalled the lot quite soon after installing, SS5+ is the one I use. It does what you expect.

There's free app called SkyView Free for phones. It has all main constalations but not too much as to become overwhelming. For a child it should be very good - you point your phone's camera towards sky object and if the compass is calibrated it identifies star/planet/constalation for you. Works without camera too. 

Look out for the cheap ones that claim to project stars onto the ceiling.  They are unfocussed and don't depict the actual stars, just a mass of stars (my mother invested unwisely and it was proverbially bad).  If you've got a suitable phone, how about a VR unit - I got a freebie with a Samsung phone last year and the planetarium based things are quite nice  - Oh, just spotted, just 2.5 years - probably a bit young for VR.  I bet Stellarium on Skymap on a geo-synched tablet would work nicely.

I use Starry Night  Pro Plus. It isn't cheap, but covers every aspect of the Night Sky
populace, and it updates itself daily to keep abreast of coordinates changes of certain objects.
Telescope Control is a great feature too, and once the scope is set up, and you input your location 
simply clicking on any star, Moon, Nebula or Galaxy, will slew the telescope to the object of your choice.

I have a Bresser home planetarium, it covers the wall or ceiling well, focuses accurately, drives silently and smoothly and has a recurring meteor pass. Despite this, it's difficult to recommend it, or others to be honest. There are too many stars!, you can't pick out the constellations or much else either. It is also set for about 38* N. The manufacturers really miss a trick here as the star fields are depicted on cassette discs, if they reduced the number of stars or supplied single constellation discs they would have a much more useful product.  :icon_biggrin:

• 5 weeks later...

I have the Sega Homestar Planetarium which came with 2 disks. A Northrrn hemisphere and a northern hemisphere constellations. I really enjoy identifying the stars against the background of stars and the Milky Way is well done.

You can also buy additional disks from other sources. I.e. Aurora, iss view of earth, galaxies etc.. 

I would go for Stellarium over Cartes du Ciel for this as it's "prettier", with good constellation pictures, whereas CduC is more a technical program better suited to telescope control.

Archived