SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Starwave 102ED

Does anyone have any experience with the Altair Astro Starwave 102ED refractor? I'm toying with the idea of buying a 4" ish f6 ish refractor to be a portable scope for wide field dark sky observing. Don't think I want to go to the expense of a triplet, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with this scope or any suggestions for an ED doublet with something like those specs? 

hi Tim

I have the Astro Tech version and love it. It's my travel scope for when I go away in the caravan or for at home when I want widest field. I use it for lunar and white light solar with binoviewers and in cyclops for everything else. The views are crisp and bright. I find it a major step up from the 80mm I used to have as I seem to find 100mm as the minimum aperture I enjoy using. There's a smidge more CA on the moon than with my 120ED but not much.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tim,

If you can find one I'd heartily recommend the Vixen ED103s. I had one, which cost me (in excellent used condition) about £750 Inc 7x50 finder, rings and flip mirror diagonal. Mine also had the dual speed focuser, which was very good.

The optics were stunning, and I got my first definite sighting of Sirius and the Pup as well as E and F stars in M42 with that scope. Also excellent views of Jupiter when seeing was good.

These cost £1700 new, which is not far off Tak 100 prices, but if you can find a used one the optics are in a similar league to the legendary Vixen FL102 fluorite.

At F7.7 and only about 4kg I think you would love this scope?.

I only sold mine as I hankered after a Tak FS128 which has taken me 9 months to acquire, but the ED103s really is a top tier optic, and for what I paid, great value.

Dave

Archived