Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
My EQ6 mount is old now. Very stiff RA and DEC axis, it's time to dismantle it and see how bad the inside is.
I followed the Astro Baby guide and it was not any big problem to dismantle it. It looks fine inside, I suspect some earlier owner already have done this cleaning and put new grease on. But that must be years ago.
When I now have dismantled everything, shall I rebuilt it and install timing belt drives? I feel it's a little to much money to put on this old mount. I have to think about it and see what alternatives there are.
Here is my EQ6 dismantling story:
Only first part, now I'm drawing plans.
By Anne S
I'm trying to update my v3 handset prior to selling the mount. I need to update the bootloader from v1.0 to v1.7 before I can upgrade the firmware from 3.12 to the newest version. I've tried following the instructions in the bootloader download but the upgrade loader refuses to install anything.
Before I realised I needed to update the bootloader, the synscan loader v3.3 just showed 255 255 255 where it should display the handset software, ie 3.12.
Can anyone advise what I'm doing wrong?
The handset won't run the mount probably because I had a replacement motor control board a few years ago., I'm guessing. It worked fine before that. I've been using eqMod for years.
I need my garage back so am selling my excess mounts.
1. EQ5 motorised on both axis.
No tripod this was mounted ony pier. Tracks well.
£100 Collect only because of weight .
2. An older type Skywatcher AZ goto mount that came with my SkyMax 127. Good condition .
£100 Collect please but might be able to send if you arrange courier.
SOLDto Pitbull ...thanks
3. AZ GTi goto in excellent condition . Still have the box so can send at cost.
The pic shows it with a telescope on it which is not included.
Location just north of Newark on A1
Thanks for looking
mods VB please move
Complete beginner question regarding using this mount.
When I have tried to set up and align the mount , the goto targeting is off by many degrees. Here's what I do - can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong!?
With the power off:
Align the tripod and mount to North and, with the clutches released, set the declination to my latitude (52deg 28' N). and the mount in the weights-down home position.
Lock the clutches and fine tune the alignment on Polaris using the mechanical adjustments on the mount.
Turn the power on:
Set up the date, time and location, elevation etc. in the handset (noting the American Date format and Longitude first (set to W 1deg 48')
DST = Yes
Select 1 Star align
Pick a star, I usually try Procyon or Betelguese depending on the time.
The scope slews to vaguely the right direction but actually nowhere near. It can take 2 or 3 minutes of manual slewing to centre the star in the eyepiece. Finishing, of course, with an up and right movement.
Finally, press Enter to complete the alignment ==> Alignment Successful says the handset optimistically.
Now from the object menu pick another target. Try, say, Polaris which was where I started and ... nowhere near it. It's the same regardless of the selected target.
I have tried 2 star alignment and 3 star alignment, a factory reset before starting, but nothing seems to work. Once i'm lined up on a target the mount tracks nicely - it just won't go where I want it to!
Not yet at my wits end but - Help!