SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newbie Hello

Mazedstuggy

Hello all,

im new, been looking around the forum for a few days before posting.

i have spent a few months just using binoculars and finally went out and got a starter scope today- a Skywatcher star travel 80 eq1. Now I know a lot of people will start sucking in their breath right about now but 'twas a really good deal.

Now the problem is setting it up  and deciding on if I should bother with the motor at all and if I do, is it worth it on this diddy scope?

i intend to join my local astromony club come Autum but it closed until the viewing season starts off again so if anyone has one and can help with set up advice I'd really appreciate it.

look forward to learning a lot from this forum.

Jason

Hello Jason and welcome to SGL. Cant help you With Your problem, but I am sure there are plenty of members who can :).

A good idea is to ask Your questions in the beginner forum.

Rune

Welcome, welcome! I'm a newbie here too.

My starter scope is a dob that comes with a motor and all that. I'm actually thinking about not using it for the first few outings so I can get used to using the scope and navigating. Might be something for you to consider. Try it without it first before spending money you may not need to.

Greetings, Jason, and welcome to SGL - it's nice of you to join us!

Nothing wrong with the scope you have. And don't be concerned with upgrades yet. You'll see what you'll need as you learn your way about. Feel free to ask any questions in the many forums here - we love finding answers!

Starry Skies -

Dave

HI Jason, nothing wrong with your scope... my first scope was a alt-az 60mm TASCO refractor, no electronic tracking or GOTO and I love it, learned a lot and seen a lot through it.

Main thing if for you to get out there and use it...

Hi Jason, Welcome to SGL.

Don't make the mistake of getting dazzled by the technology at this stage...keep it simple to start with and learn your way around and get used to using the scope as if is.

Steve

On 02/05/2017 at 23:12, Mazedstuggy said:

Hello all,

im new, been looking around the forum for a few days before posting.

i have spent a few months just using binoculars and finally went out and got a starter scope today- a Skywatcher star travel 80 eq1. Now I know a lot of people will start sucking in their breath right about now but 'twas a really good deal.

Now the problem is setting it up  and deciding on if I should bother with the motor at all and if I do, is it worth it on this diddy scope?

i intend to join my local astromony club come Autum but it closed until the viewing season starts off again so if anyone has one and can help with set up advice I'd really appreciate it.

look forward to learning a lot from this forum.

Jason

Jason -

No sharp intake of breath from me!  The Startravels are nice 'scopes, and easy to use.   You'll get lovely, wide angle views with a 24mm or 32mm eyepiece, making it easy to find your way round as well as to manually track objects.  (I see it comes with a 25mm EP, so that's fine.)

Not so good for faint objects, but there's still plenty on offer.  You can use the Barlow to get some extra magnification.  And a little chromatic aberration with bright objects is - in my opinion - not a problem.  (For planets and the Moon, you can just mask off most of the aperture to remove it anyway.)

Enjoy!

Doug.

Archived