SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi from Ft Davis, TX

EWGreen

Hi! Been an amature observer for a long time. Built a few smaller telescopes and a while back obtained a Orion SkyQuest XT8 which works ok but not the best. Quite by accident I came across a Coulter 17.5" and matching elliptical (dating back to late 80's) so am now interested in building a suitable structure to house it. I do have some experience with professional size telescopes of various sort having worked for UT McDonald Observatory for 23 years, but scaling that down to something I can build and afford is another thing. Right now I'm thinking of a DOB but would prefer to go equatorial at some point. I want to do some serious optical checkout before I start building just in case I have a poorly built mirror. Any advice of help in that area would be appreciated. There is a wealth of information on this forum so I have lots of searching to do. Thanks!

Welcome to this friendly forum from a German dobsonaut; I 'm an owner of a 13,1 Odyssey since 1987; great DSO views with it under Bortle 4 skies; now outperformed by an 18" Obsession.

Good luck for building that 17,5" scope, and Clear Skies

Stephan

Welcome to SGL, I've been to Fort Davis  (and the TSP and Mcdonald observatory), way back in '89.

Assuming that the skies haven't changed a great deal in the time (you are pretty remote there), you have some exceptional skies.

One day I'll come back.

Ant

Archived