Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Think ill be ostracised for this but!

simmo39

Im thinking of switching from my DSLR to a..... wait for it..... a OSC ! I know its a bit controversial but after lots of thinking about how lazy i am when taking images and my slapdash approach to processing, for me its the way to go. Im not pulling the trigger on one till September ( Birfday :) ). I have got my choice down to 3 cameras and what im after is opinions on which would be best. the three are:

QHY183C

ZWO ASI 1600MC

ZWO ASI 107MC

I must say Im personally drawn to the ASI107MC as I think ( may be incorrectly ) that this would be closer to my DSLR but the price is right on the max I want to pay. I have read the threads on the ASI1600 and from what I have read most seem to be v impressed with it but it all seems to be mono stuff, Havent found a lot about the OSC version at all. The outsider the QHY183C seems to have good reviews on sites in the States but cant seem to find a lot about it here. So whats your opinions? Im not after the mono colour debate, I know that mono is brilliant and if I had the time and wasnt so lazy I might go that way ( Plus I dont want the expense of extra filters! ) but Im set on OSC.

Let the debate begin. 

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, simmo39 said:

Let the debate begin. 

I don't think there can be a debate.  If OSC is what suits you with regards to capture and processing, and of course not needing filters and wheel etc. then go for it :thumbright:

I think both of the ZWO cameras would be a good fit for your 130PDS but perhaps the pixels on the QHY183C are a bit on the small side?  It will require very accurate tracking and guiding to image at such a small pixel scale, it isn't bad exactly, it will just be a lot tougher on the mount than the DSLR.

Between the two ZWO cameras the 071 is noisier than the 1600 and has slightly smaller pixels but it also has a much deeper well depth as it is 14bit rather than 12bit so should be less likely to blow out bright stars and galactic cores.

It might also be worth noting that all three have CMOS sensors rather than CCD.

2 hours ago, D4N said:

I think both of the ZWO cameras would be a good fit for your 130PDS but perhaps the pixels on the QHY183C are a bit on the small side?  It will require very accurate tracking and guiding to image at such a small pixel scale, it isn't bad exactly, it will just be a lot tougher on the mount than the DSLR.

Between the two ZWO cameras the 071 is noisier than the 1600 and has slightly smaller pixels but it also has a much deeper well depth as it is 14bit rather than 12bit so should be less likely to blow out bright stars and galactic cores.

It might also be worth noting that all three have CMOS sensors rather than CCD.

Hi Dan. I must admit I am drawn to the 071, but as I say that will be my limit. I think the noise can be delt with. It's got to be better than my dlsr. 

The cooling alone will reduce the noise drastically, the camera will also be a lot more sensitive to Ha then a DSLR.

Note that even though they are colour cameras they come with AR glass windows rather than IR cut so you may need to use a luminance filter to get the best results.

The QHY camera that uses the Sony IMX071 chip is the QHY168C in case you were interested in a direct comparison to the ASI071.

1 hour ago, D4N said:

The cooling alone will reduce the noise drastically, the camera will also be a lot more sensitive to Ha then a DSLR.

Note that even though they are colour cameras they come with AR glass windows rather than IR cut so you may need to use a luminance filter to get the best results.

The QHY camera that uses the Sony IMX071 chip is the QHY168C in case you were interested in a direct comparison to the ASI071.

Thanks Dan, Still leaning to the 071, I will have a look at filters, I was thinking I may need a light pollution filter, Its not bad here but I do have one fitted to my DLSR and I think it did help my images.

As you want a cooled OSC camera with a big chip. Why not look at the QHY8L. It's got a large chip, it's 16 bit as opposed to the 12/14 bit cmos sensors and it's on offer for less than £920.

Steve

1 hour ago, sloz1664 said:

As you want a cooled OSC camera with a big chip. Why not look at the QHY8L. It's got a large chip, it's 16 bit as opposed to the 12/14 bit cmos sensors and it's on offer for less than £920.

Steve

Hi Steve, Yep i looked at this camera but found bad reviews about cable plug problems. The camera its self seems fine and from what images i have seen it can perform.

If the cable problems had been sorted it would be on my list.

I have the same cables on my QHY8 Pro which I have had for five years no cable clamps on my set up. Yes there may have been issues with a minority complaining of connection issues, but then similar issues have been raised  with other major astro camera manufacturers.

Steve

Avoiding the OSC v Mono debate, I have had a great deal of pleasure and success from using OSC cameras and still have a Starlight Xpress SXVF-M25C that continues to deliver for me so if an OSC is what you want and narrowband imaging doesn't beckon then why not?  I mainly use a mono CCD camera now but that's because I am more interested in narrowband imaging.

1 hour ago, steppenwolf said:

Avoiding the OSC v Mono debate, I have had a great deal of pleasure and success from using OSC cameras and still have a Starlight Xpress SXVF-M25C that continues to deliver for me so if an OSC is what you want and narrowband imaging doesn't beckon then why not?  I mainly use a mono CCD camera now but that's because I am more interested in narrowband imaging.

I cant say that in the future I wont do narrowband but im far  to slapdash and lazy at the moment to do it well.

I only have experience with the Atik 314 OSC, but it's a great little camera, simple and quick to use, and I have a quick processing workflow producing RGB files with Atik Dawn and loading these into Startools. 

It is pretty slapdash and the images are never going to win any awards, but I do capture something every session.

Having said all of that, I'm now getting 'serious' with a mono CCD and filters, we will see how this goes.....

19 hours ago, tomato said:

It is pretty slapdash and the images are never going to win any awards, but I do capture something every session.

Im all for that,.lol.  As long as I get something Im happy, as you say it may not win any awards but hey im ok with that.

Still got a few months to decide on witch camera but still drawn to a large sensor. 

On 5/3/2017 at 15:55, sloz1664 said:

I have the same cables on my QHY8 Pro which I have had for five years no cable clamps on my set up. Yes there may have been issues with a minority complaining of connection issues, but then similar issues have been raised  with other major astro camera manufacturers.

Steve

True, Steve. Im going to look into all the cameras listed. thanks for the pointer.

Ok, Im down to 2 now. After some thought I have added one that was not on my first list ( Its my train set and ill do what i like! lol ). the two are:

ZWO ASI 107MC      Still the front runner but on my max spend

QHY8L.                 I know I said the cable problems put me off but further reading has put my mind at rest ( a bit)

So, if no more cameras appear on the scene, what do i pick?

3 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

Have a look on line at some of the astro pics that have been captured by your two choices. That may influence you one way or another.

Steve

Hi Steve. Have been doing that, both seem to produce fantastic pics in expert hands. What I need is some shots done be a lazy oaf with only one good eye. Lol.

51 minutes ago, simmo39 said:

Hi Steve. Have been doing that, both seem to produce fantastic pics in expert hands. What I need is some shots done be a lazy oaf with only one good eye. Lol.

Flippin 'ell that's two of us then :icon_biggrin:

Steve

44 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Have you got light pollution where you shoot from simmo?

Hi, a little but not to bad, My main light pollution is from next door lights but they are usually accomadating. I do use a light pollution filter on my Dlsr though and I think I wil have to use one with what ever camera I get. if for nothing else peace of mind! lol

15 hours ago, Adam J said:

I have been looking at the new QHY247 with great interest, though it will more than likely blow your budget.

Cant find a lot about it, but it does look like it will be out of my reach. Will have to see when it gets released.

QHY8L.                 I know I said the cable problems put me off but further reading has put my mind at rest ( a bit)

I had a QHY8L for a while, and had awful problems with the cable disconnecting, so I got one of those clips they provide and that was very flimsy - i.e not something to take on and off every time, so I kept the cable attached permanently, and had no more problems with cable disconnection.  They may well have changed the design in the later models, so might be worth looking into.  i.e. the Polemaster made by the same company now has an excellent cable connector with two screws either side, like one of those computer connectors. 

Can't say i cared for the software it came with, so I used APT instead. 

Carole 

Archived