Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finally Saturn

Nathan UK

3am last night got the scope in the garden, 

opened up skymap on my phone (I already believed I spotted Saturn before hand as I knew which direction it was rising) and boom there it was I was correct and spotted it with my eyes.

on goes my red dot finder scope and aimed in to position.....

I have attempted Saturn a few times but always fell asleep before hand haha.

well worth the wait and glad I've finally hit that target for the first time, 

what I will say is the detail doesn't compare to Jupiter in my scope. I'm really not sure what Saturn should look like through the scope but it was lacking in detail. With Jupiter I was seeing the coloured bands on the atmosphere.....

alls I could see with Saturn was the glowing yellow planet with one big ring around it,

Don't take my words the wrong way as I was truly amazed and filled with joy but what I'm getting at is i think it's time for  me to upgrade my aperture ,

im currently using the SWE 130p (which is only 5") and I think my current viewings have been rather pleasant although I feel I'm ready for more, I'm ready for brighter and sharper detail.

in the coming weeks I will be looking at something in the skywatcher skyliner range 200p - 250p (hopefully I can afford the 250p) 

but never the less I do recommend the SWE130P to anyone new to astronomy,

hope you all have good viewings,

Nathan

Nice one Nathan!  A bigger aperture, lots of patience, and good conditions will reveal more detail, but just seeing the ring system and the gap between that and the planet is quite impressive. 

I only got to see Jupiter's Great Red Spot last week after well over two years' observing!

Doug.

3 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Nice one Nathan!  A bigger aperture, lots of patience, and good conditions will reveal more detail, but just seeing the ring system and the gap between that and the planet is quite impressive. 

I only got to see Jupiter's Great Red Spot last week after well over two years' observing!

Doug.

Nice Doug , congrats on locating it. Unfortunately conditions will always be against me because of the light pollution where I am.

i can't really travel (I can just about walk the shop these days due to my M.E.) so I guess aperture is the way forward.

yes I was really impressed with my observing session but I couldn't help think to myself if I think this is good imagine with the skyliner 250 haha. I think it's pretty safe to say astronomy isn't something that's going to leave me and I feel a good size dob is the best way for me to continue my exploration of the sky.

hope your keeping weall my friend

nathan

5 minutes ago, Nathan UK said:

Nice Doug , congrats on locating it. Unfortunately conditions will always be against me because of the light pollution where I am.

i can't really travel (I can just about walk the shop these days due to my M.E.) so I guess aperture is the way forward.

yes I was really impressed with my observing session but I couldn't help think to myself if I think this is good imagine with the skyliner 250 haha. I think it's pretty safe to say astronomy isn't something that's going to leave me and I feel a good size dob is the best way for me to continue my exploration of the sky.

hope your keeping weall my friend

nathan

Thanks, Nathan.  More aperture will make a difference.  The skies here aren't great either, but I see a lot with the 8" SCT, including faint galaxies.

Glad to hear you're sticking with it - there's so much to discover and enjoy!

Doug.

A first view of Saturn is something to celebrate.

After learning the hard way that majestic galactic spirals and Hubble like nebula views were off the menus. I didn't believe that seeing the rings would produce much of a wow. Then there they were. Pow. Amazing.

I had my first Saturn view of the year this morning. It always makes me smile.

Paul

Yep, that first view of Saturn is great and quite an experience!  I remember it very well with my 8" SCT :)

The rings are so well placed at the moment.  However, Saturn itself is not being so low down.  I've viewed it twice in the last couple of weeks and both times it's been difficult.  130mm aperture is quite enough to show something but you need the seeing to be good enough to really turn up the magnification to get enough contrast on the planet so see any detail on the surface.

I'd suggest going for a 10" dob if you're thinking about it - there's a considerable difference in light gathering between 8" and 10".

Congrats on Saturn :smiley:

The planets surface is much less interesting than Jupiters even with my 12" dob. I can usually see a central equatorial band and occasionally another one. The pole areas are darker. All much, much more subtle than Jupiter. I once saw a pale spot / patch on the central band but it was very indistinct.

The ring system shows the Cassini division clearly, the crepe or C ring between the brighter rings and the planet is visible under good conditions and under really good conditions I've been able to make out the Encke minima (but not the Encke division) in the outer part of the ring system. Plus quite a few moons of course !

Personally I finder Jupiter more dynamic and interesting but Saturn is a must see at least a few times when it's on show :icon_biggrin:

congrats on saturn, truly amazing. i still remember it being my first wow moment, by mistake. thought it was a star. light pollution hardy effects planets thanless its daylight :happy11:

saturn will take a lot of power as well

Congrats on Saturn! It is just a beautiful sight to behold.  It's a pity it is at low altitude with the rings so open, but worth persevering: my best view ever was last summer with my 15" in cyclops mode - I thought it would be lost through the atmospheric wobbling, but it was a really still night: looked like a photo. Best of luck with it if you get a 10"-12" dob: I've a 250px and it has given great views of Saturn and Jupiter.  In that scope, I prefer binoviewing on solar system targets - reveals even better detail :)

Thanks guys , Alan it's still rising at the I'm in bed period too.... That's why I've had so many failed attempts trying to view it (fell asleep) haha .

i will bare that in mind naillk , thanks everyone for your responses 

Nathan 

Nice one Nathan, you'll remember that view for a long time.

I have often remarked "it amazes me what we can see in our own backyard with comparatively modest equipment". 

I know Hubble type images are more than we will ever see but observing these objects with our own eyes is something special.

6 minutes ago, Astro Imp said:

Nice one Nathan, you'll remember that view for a long time.

I have often remarked "it amazes me what we can see in our own backyard with comparatively modest equipment". 

I know Hubble type images are more than we will ever see but observing these objects with our own eyes is something special.

Sure is Alan.  Some knowledge, some imagination, and an eyepiece to peer down is a magical combination!

Doug.

Congratulations on seeing saturn. The last time i saw it was last year through a 60mm refractor. I could just make out the blackness between the planet and the ring. I have a 200p dobsonian now, and as we are due clear skies in my area tonight this is ine of things objects i will be looking for (if i stay awake that long! :) )

carnt wait to see what it looks like through my new scope

That's good that you have been this dedicated;
Unless I wake up at 3am I am in the land of nod.

Saturn is a great sight, but as others have said Jupiter, of which we have seen much recently at a decent hour is far more a wow moment in my book.
Saturn however does have to be observed a number of times to appreciate what you are seeing.

I couldn't agree more, seeing the ring around Saturn is absolutely amazing but in my mind, in my opinion it doesn't beat the crisp views and bands on Jupiter . 

As doug said nothing better then looking down the eye piece ! 

Alan white, I think the view will be great in your new dob.

HUBBLE? Who needs special affect n movie like images from a tv when you can see a rawer , amazing  version with your own eye and a scope?

8 minutes ago, Nathan UK said:

I couldn't agree more, seeing the ring around Saturn is absolutely amazing but in my mind, in my opinion it doesn't beat the crisp views and bands on Jupiter . 

As doug said nothing better then looking down the eye piece ! 

Alan white, I think the view will be great in your new dob.

HUBBLE? Who needs special affect n movie like images from a tv when you can see a rawer , amazing  version with your own eye and a scope?

Yes, Nathan - seeing these incredible objects directly is just thrilling.  Maybe this is why I am strictly a visual observer, whilst still having huge respect for imagers.

As for the Jupiter/Saturn thing - Jupiter is a treat with his gang of Galilean moons, but Saturn - those rings, oh wow, those rings!

Doug.

6 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Yes, Nathan - seeing these incredible objects directly is just thrilling.  Maybe this is why I am strictly a visual observer, whilst still having huge respect for imagers.

As for the Jupiter/Saturn thing - Jupiter is a treat with his gang of Galilean moons, but Saturn - those rings, oh wow, those rings!

Doug.

Some of the images these guys on here have put on are brilliant , I know I've had a cheap go with my iPhone 'just for fun' but like yourself I'm more interested in just actually seeing it with my own eyes

2 minutes ago, Nathan UK said:

Some of the images these guys on here have put on are brilliant , I know I've had a cheap go with my iPhone 'just for fun' but like yourself I'm more interested in just actually seeing it with my own eyes

Having fun that way is great - all part of the enjoyment that this hobby provides.  And it's good to share the pleasure with like-minded people on this forum!

Doug.

5 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Having fun that way is great - all part of the enjoyment that this hobby provides.  And it's good to share the pleasure with like-minded people on this forum!

Doug.

Couldn't agree more mate

On 02/05/2017 at 12:38, Nathan UK said:

3am last night got the scope in the garden, 

opened up skymap on my phone (I already believed I spotted Saturn before hand as I knew which direction it was rising) and boom there it was I was correct and spotted it with my eyes.

on goes my red dot finder scope and aimed in to position.....

I have attempted Saturn a few times but always fell asleep before hand haha.

well worth the wait and glad I've finally hit that target for the first time, 

what I will say is the detail doesn't compare to Jupiter in my scope. I'm really not sure what Saturn should look like through the scope but it was lacking in detail. With Jupiter I was seeing the coloured bands on the atmosphere.....

alls I could see with Saturn was the glowing yellow planet with one big ring around it,

Don't take my words the wrong way as I was truly amazed and filled with joy but what I'm getting at is i think it's time for  me to upgrade my aperture ,

im currently using the SWE 130p (which is only 5") and I think my current viewings have been rather pleasant although I feel I'm ready for more, I'm ready for brighter and sharper detail.

in the coming weeks I will be looking at something in the skywatcher skyliner range 200p - 250p (hopefully I can afford the 250p) 

but never the less I do recommend the SWE130P to anyone new to astronomy,

hope you all have good viewings,

Nathan

I managed to get myself out if bed at about 2am this morning to have a look at saturn like you did. I must say what i saw was many times better than i saw through my small refractor. And like you i had a go at imaging with my iphone. Although the picture does not do it justice to what i was actually seeing

IMG_1482.JPG

I can wholeheartedly vouch for the satisfaction one gets from viewing planets through a 10 inch dob. I also agree that Jupiter does offer a bit more dynamism in my opinion, but Saturn still doesn't fail to give me that feeling if awe as I look at the rings around the tiny pale yellow disc and I remind myself that I am looking at probably the most iconic giant of our solar system. It's the planet I loved drawing as a school child and no space themed wallpaper, book, bedspread or classroom display is complete without it. And there it is, in the eyepiece and you're looking straight at it (sort of). But please make sure you budget for a water but stand with your dob, otherwise you will likely be kneeling to see it! 

Archived