Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 1st May 2017

mikeDnight

As i was observing the Moon I had a phone call from paulastro. We discussed the features we were observing along the terminator, and then Paul asked if Jupiter was visible from my site? It was still essentially daylight, but there was Jupiter, easily observable above my observatory wall. I swung the scope round and was surprised to see that the detail on view, despite the planet being a bit on the low side, was really quite good. I made a quick sketch, primarily to annoy Paul, as Jupiter was hidden from his view at the time. Then I returned to observing the Moon for another hour and a half. The seeing wasn't perfect but everything seemed sharp despite mild turbulence. For the moon I could easily hold a sharp image at X340 while Paul was using X450 or there abouts. For Jupiter however I used X170.

Mike

2017-05-02 08.47.16.jpg

You are a remarkable observer Mike and an excellent sketcher :icon_salut:

I was observing Jupiter with my Tak 100 DL last night. I used 129x and 150x and the image was steady and crisp. While I could see the cloud belts that you portray, I could only see, at best, the vaguest suggestion of just a few the details and stuctures within them that your sketch shows. 

9 hours ago, John said:

You are a remarkable observer Mike and an excellent sketcher :icon_salut:

I was observing Jupiter with my Tak 100 DL last night. I used 129x and 150x and the image was steady and crisp. While I could see the cloud belts that you portray, I could only see, at best, the vaguest suggestion of just a few the details and stuctures within them that your sketch shows. 

Thankyou for your kind comments John. I'm not sure if I have any ability beyond that of other observers, but I do seem to have an exceptionally good eastern to southern view. My horizon is low in the east and quite high in the south, but for some reason the air seems to be quite stable much of the time. Burnley was chosen as a cotton mill town years back because it seems to constantly create mist and cloud, (Hellas on Earth! ☺). The light mists can be a godsend for a planetary observer as it indicates stable air. The cloud however, im not so fond of! I think its more likely because of my location rather than any exceptional ability, that permits me to see such fine detail.

Paul, who I mentioned in my original post, lives about 17 miles from me and we are separated by the pennines, but he too seems to get some fairly good seeing. Like you he has a DL and last night was able to use in excess of X450 I believe, while observing the moon. However, when he comes here to observe from my site, he is nearly always impressed by the site itself, but not so much by me. :happy11:

Mike

58 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Thankyou for your kind comments John. I'm not sure if I have any ability beyond that of other observers, but I do seem to have an exceptionally good eastern to southern view. My horizon is low in the east and quite high in the south, but for some reason the air seems to be quite stable much of the time.

In some ways that is reassuring to me - all my horizons are over the roofs of houses so most of my planetary observing is through central heating plumes etc at the current time due to the low altitudes of these targets.

Quite how and why I have contrived to own the best couple of planetary scopes available with their intended "prey" at such unfavourable sutiations eludes me at times :rolleyes2:

Stiil, got to make the best of it - I've still had some fine views from time to time :smiley:

John, I wouldn't be concerned if I were you, Mike is an exceptional observer and he often draws detail I can't see at all if I'm observing at home.  As Mike points out though, he does seem to be blessed with good seeing.  When  I'm observing with Mike at his observatory I do seem to see more of what Mike sees than when I'm observing at  home - but he can still generally see more than I do.  I use a DL too as you know.

I don't recall if you use a binoviewer, but both Mike and I do, and if you don't you are at a serious disadvantage in my view.  The difference  is considerable.  If I have time I'm going to start a thread later re my recent adventures using two Baader Mk111 zooms in my binoviewer which you may find of interest.

Your account of heating plumes and warm roofs is very familiar to me, in fact last night I sneaked indoors and switched off my own central heating because of the effect it had.  My wife and daughters did survive the cold I'm glad to say - and they are still speaking to me :icon_biggrin:.

Archived