SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher ED120, some musings

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Given our climate, it is often the case that aperture is not everything, but convenience and speed of setup/breakdown are. The 150 needs a heavier mount and longer cool down than the 127 so I'm sure these are all factors that are important.

I 'only' have a 4" scope currently. That's not to say I would not have larger again in future but I'm quite happy observing with it, the views are lovely, far from disappointing and it is very quick to setup and pack away to make use of quick gaps in the cloud or short opportunities.

I heartily agree Stu.  I have an Astro-Tech 102ED  (F7) which I recently took in part-ex for a bigger scope which I had to sell due to financial reasons.  As it turned out, it's a fantastic sharp little scope and it enabled me to get  out quickly with my AZ4 in very cloudy skies on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  I had some excellent views, all be it not for very long and with intermittent cloud - but they were views I wouldn't have had  if I'd had to get out a bigger scope.  Also, it's aperture meant it was less affected by the seeing than a larger scope would have been.  It made my Christmas!  :smile:

• Like 7

3 hours ago, paulastro said:

As a footnote, I also had approximately an hour of clear sky earlier this evening, and excellent first quarter Moon, plenty of wows from me - that is until I packed up quickly at 5pm as it started to snow lightly. :smile:

Thanks for this. I have a bad knee at the moment (don't worry, I've had worse and it will pass) and had decided that the passing clouds were excuse enough to leave off observing tonight and give it a rest.

Then I read your footnote.

Just got back in from seeing Rupes Recta - and knowing it - for the first time. Well, well worth getting out for a short time with Luna. Memories made.

:happy11:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iPeace said:

Thanks for this. I have a bad knee at the moment (don't worry, I've had worse and it will pass) and had decided that the passing clouds were excuse enough to leave off observing tonight and give it a rest.

Then I read your footnote.

Just got back in from seeing Rupes Recta - and knowing it - for the first time. Well, well worth getting out for a short time with Luna. Memories made.

I do hope your knee improves soon.  I'm delighted you went out, and had the same fabulous view I had of Rupes Recta.  It was probably the most favourable  lighting conditions I've had of it, I can't remember a better view, the illumination was just right.  It's a pleasure for me to know it has added a memorable event for you, many thanks for sharing.  :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, paulastro said:

I'm delighted you went out, and had the same fabulous view I had of Rupes Recta.  It was probably the most favourable  lighting conditions I've had of it, I can't remember a better view, the illumination was just right.

It was so dramatic, at first glance I thought how could a mountain peak possibly cast such an amazingly long shadow? This was soon rectified :happy11: by checking a lunar map, leaving me with a big wow.

8 minutes ago, paulastro said:

I do hope your knee improves soon.

It will, no worries, thanks! :happy9:

12 minutes ago, paulastro said:

It's a pleasure for me to know it has added a memorable event for you, many thanks for sharing.  :smile:

A pleasure indeed. Thanks again.

9 hours ago, iPeace said:

I recognize much of what Jules @nightfisher relates. I owned and very much enjoyed an equally faultless 120ED, but decided to let it go mostly due to size. It's the largest scope I've ever tried - not large at all, I realize, by common standards - and I did a lot to make it "work" for me, applied a carrying handle, balancing weights, built a case for it. I use undriven alt-az mounts, and at the time I was using huge heavy eyepieces - so getting everything balanced and working smoothly was a challenge and each nudge or focus tweak inevitably caused vibrations. The views were great, but in retrospect, I had to work for them, a bit harder than I liked. (This is a personal preference, I'm sure others put up with quite a bit more to get the views they want.) Add to that the prospect of a mostly itinerant observing style, and the long scope and big eyepieces were better off in a different home.

I tried a Mak 102, liked it, but wasn't getting much - if any - more than from my small fracs. Still curious how much aperture I can enjoyably apply for lunar and planetary observing (under the best of conditions and circumstances) - and how much difference it will make to me - I am now awaiting arrival of a new 150 Mak. It will live in a shed and hopefully come out all nice and cool on domestic lunar nights.

My Equinox is here to stay, but a GOTO alt az mount appeals to me. I was wondering if the Skywatcher Supatrak or Synscan would be able to take a 150. FLO only sells the 127 with either mount as complete kits. 

Edited by 25585

For me, I find the ED120 just about the "goldilocks" mix of size and capability. Despite having Tak and Vixen 100/102mm refractors and the superlative TMB/LZOS 130, the ED120 is my most often used refractor. And I thought it would be the one that I would "let go" after last years expensive investments :rolleyes2:

Sorry to hear about your knee issues Mike - I hope things clear up soon :icon_biggrin:

I've got issues with both knees at the moment and it's interesting how such little challenges make you re-think your approach to the hobby and also to think ahead to what longer term changes you might need to make should the issues persist.

Darn this "getting old" business ! :undecided:

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, John said:

For me, I find the ED120 just about the "goldilocks" mix of size and capability. Despite having Tak and Vixen 100/102mm refractors and the superlative TMB/LZOS 130, the ED120 is my most often used refractor. And I thought it would be the one that I would "let go" after last years expensive investments :rolleyes2:

Sorry to hear about your knee issues Mike - I hope things clear up soon :icon_biggrin:

I've got issues with both knees at the moment and it's interesting how such little challenges make you re-think your approach to the hobby and also to think ahead to what longer term changes you might need to make should the issues persist.

60 next year!  My eyes have improved since retirement, hardly any computer time helps. But yes physical too. Why I use a 10 inch dob and have shelved the 12 rebuild for now. The difference 30 years makes is alarming.

Is there a GOTO mount of any design or make that is strong and powerful enough for an ED120, & Mak 150 or 180 even?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, John said:

I thought it would be the one that I would "let go" after last years expensive investments :rolleyes2:

I think many of us here in the gallery were expecting that as well. :happy11:

Thanks, they will as they always do, just never mentioned it before. :icon_biggrin:

I've got issues with both knees at the moment

My thoughts are with both of them :happy9:

22 minutes ago, John said:

it's interesting how such little challenges make you re-think your approach to the hobby and also to think ahead to what longer term changes you might need to make should the issues persist

Indeed. In retrospect, I've been inclined to factor in overall comfort anyway, as it tends to be a deciding factor for my own enjoyment. I like to describe it as "enlightened laziness" - basing decisions on what will make things easiest on the old bod - the final, most critical component in the optical chain and the sole means of getting anything done at all. :icon_biggrin:

I wiil stand or sit, but not crouch. I will sit for lunar and planetary, but will stand for widefield and fuzzy hunting. When standing, every practical consideration is given to eyepiece height (finally got a UNI tripod with geared central column - soooooooo comfortable :p). If I'll need to move the setup around a lot, it will have to be lightweight and compact. It all adds up...

1 hour ago, John said:

It's not so bad, considering the alternative. :huh2: Besides, many of us seem to appreciate things with increased profundity as we get on. I sure do. :smile:

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Is there a GOTO mount of any design or make that is strong and powerful enough for an ED120, & Mak 150 or 180 even?

Sure. Just browse around at FLO. Skywatcher offers at least one that can be used both in equatorial and alt-az mode. There are many others, and can be as expensive as you like.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iPeace said:

Sure. Just browse around at FLO. Skywatcher offers at least one that can be used both in equatorial and alt-az mode. There are many others, and can be as expensive as you like.

I would have thought that the AZ5GT would handle an Equinox 120 pretty well ?

7 hours ago, 25585 said:

LOL. The standard Skywatcher EQ6 is capable of an ED120- a positively lightweight scope in fact! I've been running a 35kg 12" Newtonian on an EQ6 for years. It does 600 second guided subs routinely. An EQ6 will therefore handle the combined weight of an ED120 (6.5Kg) & Mak180 (7.5Kg) with ease.

24196998828_5ae723df2e_b.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 25585 said:

I have the tripod with my Skytee-2 so only need the mount side of things. Shame the SkyTee can't be converted.

Did you mean this one John?  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-az-eq5-gt-geq-alt-az-mount.html

Thats the one.

The Skytee II can be converted to a driven GOTO mount but its way beyond my capability:

• 8 months later...

Not far of a year on, initially i had planned on keeping this 120, but it just never felt like the right scope for me, i let it go and have no regrets at my decision, shortly after selling it i repurchased a Skymax 127, one that i had owned a while back, this has proved to be a wonderful scope, doing Luna viewing and imaging planetary views and double stars, to get nice low power wider field and some DSO views i also purchased an Opticstar 90mm F5.6 frac.

This has proved to be right for me, i like both scopes a lot, the Mak takes up next to no room, lives all year on my RC work bench in an unheated out building, its always ready to work, and so far it has never failed to give very pleasing views and images, i have recently added an AZ4 mount so either scope can be used at short notice.

I feel i have all my bases covered now in 2 scopes, 2 mounts and more than enough eyepieces

• Like 3

I'm very late in on this because, after several weeks of deliberation, I have just decided that my next purchase will be an Evo (or Equinox) 120ED to replace the Startravel 120 in the stable along with the 8" Cat and the 10" Dob.

So could I ask those with experience of the 120ED for a bit of advice, please?

The ST120 is on an AZ4 (steel version), so:

Would the 120ED be OK on that mount?  (I know moving it is not exactly smooth, and it lacks fine control.)

Would it be better on a Skytee II?

If so, would the Skytee II mount go on the AZ4 tripod?

Or would an AZ5  do the job?  (Or is the 'scope a bit heavy for that?)

Nothing's ever straightforward with this hobby, so some guidance would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Doug.

16 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

I'm very late in on this because, after several weeks of deliberation, I have just decided that my next purchase will be an Evo (or Equinox) 120ED to replace the Startravel 120 in the stable along with the 8" Cat and the 10" Dob.

So could I ask those with experience of the 120ED for a bit of advice, please?

Would the 120ED be OK on that mount?  (I know moving it is not exactly smooth, and it lacks fine control.)

Nothing's ever straightforward with this hobby, so some guidance would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Doug.

You should get away with 120 on AZ4, just, it will hold it, i once hung a 180 pro mak on an AZ4 but a skytee would be better and will fit on your tripod

• Thanks 1

I agree, the 120ED is obviously longer and will be much happier on a SkyTee2, or possibly and Ercole, depends on whether you want slo mos or not. You could even mount the C8 and the 120ED side by side on the Ercole, would be a great combo. A bit like this....

2250473B-D597-4148-A020-9FA7E867C6F9.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

Cheers,

Doug.

Hi Doug, I've had a AZ4 for years and used it on many scopes, including an 120ED and Equinox 120ED which is heavier of course. 

I strongly urge you to try it out for a while on the AZ4, on high and low powers, before committing yourself to buying aanother mount.    It will be useable and you may find it's better than you think it might be.  I have to say my AZ4 is very smooth, but I can't speak for every other example.  I found the 120ED will work fine on the AZ4 for lower power, and indeed for planetary with a binoviewer on some occasions.  In fact I often used it on the AZ4 even though I had heavier duty mounts available.  It certainly will serve as a grab and go if you need to quickly set up, and even if you do get another mount, I'm sure at times you will find yourself using it on the AZ4. 

I took a 100ED f6.95 refractor (weight around 5 kilos or more loaded) and a David Levy 152mm f4.7 Mak-Newt (weighing 8kg) to Kelling along with my AZ4 and Ercole.  I used the different scopes on both mounts at different times and had no problems.  At home I frequently use the DL scope on the AZ4 if I am going out only for deep sky and general sweeping around - though I can use it for planetary with a binoviewer and two Baader Mk111 zooms I do prefer the Ercole for planetary.  Of course, the Ercole is more steady, but the AZ4 doesn't inhibit what I can do if I do use it. 

In my view the AZ5 will not be suitable for use with the 120ED.  It is no where as sturdy as the AZ4 and the azimuth slow motion is positioned in such a silly position you'll never be able to reach it if you use anywhere near a long a scope as the 120.  Fine if you  have only an 80mm refractor, small solar rig or a Mak 127, but good for little else in my opinion.  I didn't  keep the AZ5 I had long after I sold my Mak 127.

The Skytee Mount will of course hold the 120ED more steadily, but is not a good mount if you want to carry it around very much, and you'll have to replace the two Vixen tube holders unless you want the scope to come adrift, most people end up replacing them.  I had one for some time, and admit I'm biased - I really didn't like it very much, rather agricultural.

So in summary Doug, as I said earlier on,  I'd just use the AZ4 for a while, and then look around for a another mount if you feel a need.  Even if you do need another mount, I'm pretty sure you'll be still using it for the 120 on some occasions.  Also, if possible, if you identify something you're thinking of buying for the 120, try get the use of someone elses first to try your scope on.

Best of luck.

• Thanks 1

I used my ED120 a few times on an AZ-4 mount with a 2" steel tubed tripod but I didn't find it satisfactory once the magnification got much over 100x. And the ED120 will support far more than that of course.

It might be OK as a temporary measure but I don't feel that it will enable you to experience all that the ED120 is capable of. The Skytee II or Ercole on the other hand, are rock solid with the ED120 even at 300x.

YMMV though :smiley:

• Like 1

I have the equinox 120 with feather touch and I love it. I use it on skytee 2 no problem. Haven't used it on AZ4 or 5 though. 

Since using my 80mm Altair ed-r with star discovery goto from my back garden in suburbia light pollution city (great grab and go set up) I have really found it helpful for double stars and the less easy to find objects. Now I want alt az goto for the equinox but they don't come cheap. Heard mixed reports about the az eg5 got and have been a bit put off by them  Considering the ioptron az pro with gps, which for similar money seems to be much better spec.  Options are limited for this weight of scope in az goto. I'm saving hard to get one of these though... 

@cloudsweeper Hope you enjoy your ed 120 as much as I love the equinox, whichever mount you choose to use with it.

• Thanks 1