SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M66 group (Leo triplet)

Magnus_e

First post in a while, and my first mono LRGB image.

Camera Zwo asi 1600mm-c

All images @ -30c and Unity. RGB binned.

L 45x 300s

R 24x 225s 2x2 bin

G 16x 225s 2x2 bin

B 5x 225s - 11x 300s 2x2bin

All in all ~7h 30m

Calibrated with bias and darks.

I tried imaging this last year, but made a mistake in goto, and missed NGC 3628 ;)

LeoTriplet_M66group_LRGB.thumb.png.1423e2cd7e49e696d767d517e7d2a570.png

Let me know what you think of this. Tips and feedback always welcome

You've got some good colour in there but the full size image looks a bit noisy, a touch over-stretched?

From what I've been reading, there's no point in binning CMOS data due to the way the chip reads out, the binning is done in software unlike CCD where the binning is done on-chip in hardware.

13 hours ago, DaveS said:

You've got some good colour in there but the full size image looks a bit noisy, a touch over-stretched?

From what I've been reading, there's no point in binning CMOS data due to the way the chip reads out, the binning is done in software unlike CCD where the binning is done on-chip in hardware.

I did not notice that I added all the noise with a unsharpmask to the dso.

I tried a TGVDenoice to the dso's and a unsharpmask to the cores, and it seams like it helped.

The binning is not really needed. As you say it's done in software, and I could probably have done the same in post.

It did however decrease the file size from ~31MB to ~8MB, so it did download faster from my remote obsy.

8 hours ago, Rodd said:

You have plenty of light to spare--if you drop the stretch down just a tad on the galaxies--the noise will vanish.  Nice shot.

Rodd

Thanks. The noise should have been dealt with now :)

LeoTriplet_M66group_LRGB2.thumb.png.dfb0ff4d2ae6c5dd925528351a4cb99a.png

For some reason I made some changes to this image on my laptop before posting, and tought the background looked to bright, and brought the blackpoint down, but then it ended up way to dark on my other monitors.

Re did some steps and kept the background where I normally would, color calibrated the image (it's rgb after all!) and shrunk stars a little more.

I do like the new version better on most monitors, but it does raise the question again of what monitor is properly calibrated? (I guess none as I use the windows wissard :) )

Feel free to let me know if the changes where in the correct direction. Especially the blackpoint.

LeoTriplet_M66group_LRGB3.thumb.png.b01b1b13cf24ee196af26aaa1089a3df.png

Archived