SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC 4216 and a hint of a tidal tail

wimvb

NGC 4216 is a spiral galaxy belonging to the virgo cluster. Its distance is about 55 Mly. Apparent size: about 8 x 2 arcminutes.

The galaxy to the left is one of its satellite galaxies (VCC 65 ?). This galaxy shows a very weak tidal disruption due to its interaction with the larger galaxy. (Barely visible in this image.)

590618226aecb_ngc4216.thumb.jpg.855f827a5639059da1caf76d5cbe9841.jpg

Data from the Liverpool Telescope, processed in PixInsight

Very nicely processed Wim!

I have not seen images of this one before. How many subs (and what filters) did you use? Have you found any better way than trial and error in searching for objects in the LT data base?

The filters used were Bessel Blue (9 frames), Bessel V (green, 6 frames), and sdss Red (13 frames). There was no Ha (and no hints of Ha regions in the red channel either). A lot of subs had odd shaped stars or were blurry (not surprising, if they use the same autofocuser as in their IR camera: http://telescope.livjm.ac.uk/TelInst/Inst/IOI/ ).

My method of searching the archives is either from their gallery (flickr images), or if I find a nice target on the internet, I just search for it in their archives. Most of the time, they don't have it. Or they only have a few exposures. At other times, most exposures are from the old camera (RATCAM), which has a smaller FOV, and a few bad columns.

I found one galaxy (ngc 4449) which has quite spectacular Ha areas, and there is enough colour data in the LT archives. But unfortunately only one usable Ha sub in the public archive.

When I get better at processing, I may try to combine LT colour data with Hubble Ha data...

12 hours ago, wimvb said:

The filters used were Bessel Blue (9 frames), Bessel V (green, 6 frames), and sdss Red (13 frames). There was no Ha (and no hints of Ha regions in the red channel either). A lot of subs had odd shaped stars or were blurry (not surprising, if they use the same autofocuser as in their IR camera: http://telescope.livjm.ac.uk/TelInst/Inst/IOI/ ).

My method of searching the archives is either from their gallery (flickr images), or if I find a nice target on the internet, I just search for it in their archives. Most of the time, they don't have it. Or they only have a few exposures. At other times, most exposures are from the old camera (RATCAM), which has a smaller FOV, and a few bad columns.

I found one galaxy (ngc 4449) which has quite spectacular Ha areas, and there is enough colour data in the LT archives. But unfortunately only one usable Ha sub in the public archive.

When I get better at processing, I may try to combine LT colour data with Hubble Ha data...

OK, then you use the same approach as I do, and it is tedious but rewarding when you finally get a hit. Right now I am working on LT data on NGC7479 (a smallish galaxy so it fits in in one frame). Will post soon. The Hubble approach is interesting. I have almost given up on the Subaru since most images there are quite odd looking (artifacts that may have to do with some astronomical measurements being done) and they are with odd filters, so no chance of getting a full RGB and best used for just lum.

2 hours ago, gorann said:

Wim,

just noticed NGC7479 in your album (forgot that you had done it), so it will be interesting to see the difference.

Yes, and in retrospect, I need to tame the stars in front of the galaxy a bit more.

Good luck.

Archived