SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Blogpost on imaging satellites (especially the ISS)

I have written a blog post about imaging artificial satellites, with a focus on the ISS. Since the SGL challenge is precisely about that, it thought it could be interesting to share.

The article is there:

https://satelliteobservation.wordpress.com/2017/04/20/observing-satellites/

It has a bit of background in the beginning on satellites and how imaging a satellite is similar to a satellite imaging the ground, plus some discussion about the different types of mount and tracking and of what limits imaging performance. The conclusion is that a dob + a high-speed, high resolution camera is a good way to go to make images like these:

There are some very nice images from other people in there too.

Very impressive. One of my "to do" sky objects, maybe the one I'm thinking the most about at the moment.  The article will give me some good tips. I plan some trips to dark sites this summer, will spend some time there. I'll use your article as my preparation guide. Was looking for something like that, so thanks a lot. Terrific effort.

Archived