Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_planets.thumb.jpg.e76f0a73fd950ae15415beb032373794.jpg

tekkydave

D-Bot 3D Printer

Further to adding the RPi3 to run the cameras I have designed and printed an enclosure for the Pi camera I have. It is designed to fit into the base I was already using for the webcam. The camera is one I bought on ebay a while back and comes with a removeable lens in a 12mm mounting.

5adf59f920f9e_2018-04-2409_55_01.thumb.jpg.75dd05d271b3c54a009e2017635dfe13.jpg

5adf59f748660_2018-04-2409_55_56.thumb.jpg.d233cb0588005bba79233c4632ea4958.jpg

5adf59f40f8ae_2018-04-2409_57_11.thumb.jpg.1bc133486ead126492a29c8e58d0dba3.jpg

5adf59f22dd3c_2018-04-2410_03_04.thumb.jpg.37521ccc8553b1aa762d566e3ca3c3e9.jpg

5adf59f04ce13_2018-04-2410_12_12.thumb.jpg.4217b2d40c16fad61b8259b69fed913e.jpg

The ribbon cable exits at the side to avoid the mounting so the camera is rotated 90 degrees. I have corrected for this by setting custom sizes and a rotation in the software

Screenshot_from_2018-04-24_10-56-41.thumb.jpg.4da8e1228ea48ce11eff5c353878acb6.jpg

• Like 6

Excellent :)

FYI, I came across this on the Duet3D forum https://forum.duet3d.com/topic/5263/grounding.

The recommendation is to have everything earthed, including the motors, but the printed parts means the motors are isolated, so I will have to re-visit the earth bonding of all parts.... 

That's interesting.  Hadn't thought of earthing stepper motors.  My XY motors are mounted on the frame but Z and extruder motors are insulated.  The extruder motor doesn't drive a belt but I think I'll earth it anyway.  I've been careful with earthing the frame and aluminium print bed on my Giant printer with a mains voltage bed heater as recommended.

If the frame is anodised, as is mine, there is no guarantee that there is full earth continuity throughout.

In my BBC days, we spent ages adding bonding straps to everything on the racks etc. on every new installation, even if the equipment was housed in a wooden carcase, and not mains powered...

3 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

If the frame is anodised, as is mine, there is no guarantee that there is full earth continuity throughout.

Ah, good point - I'll have to check.  May need yet more wiring...

Just checked continuity around the anodised aluminium frame and there is NO electrical continuity!  So all the stepper motors are unearthed as is the aluminium bed ATM.  More wiring is needed :(  On all three printers!!  But I shall be rebuilding my Titan printer so I can just incorporate extra wiring in that.  Not had any problem so far but better safe than sorry - particularly with the cost of Duet WiFi boards.

I'm in the same boat, I already have Power Supply 0v rail and Bed ally plate bonded to earth, and most is relatively easy to do, XYZ motors, extrusion frame etc, if a little ugly with bonding straps everywhere. I could replace all the linking pieces & cut through the anodising, but that means buying more metal bits.

The only awkward one is the extruder as that will require a wire run up through the cable chains, which is a pity as I've only recently updated the wiring to cope with a change of bed sensor :BangHead:

• Sad 1

I find I get fed up with undoing cable spiral wrap, adding one wire, and winding it up again.  Then there's another etc.!! :(