Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

• Announcements

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_winner.thumb.jpg.e75de1ff1128e51a02fe7b63e48dbc51.jpg

tekkydave

D-Bot 3D Printer

tekkydave    907
10 hours ago, Gina said:

Which slicer do you use with the Duet Dave?

I use Slic3r these days. I liked Cura but had problems getting it to run consistently on Ubuntu. 

• Thanks 1

tekkydave    907
10 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I do wonder if without the ldlers the back one would be prone to slipping.

I didn't have any slippage when I first installed them but I wasnt happy that the belt only contacted about a third of the pulley. My main issue is the motor stalling, probably too much friction from the weight of the bed and the screws. 

Gina    9,058

Sounds like you need a bigger motor.  What size are you using at present?  (length)

Edited by Gina

tekkydave    907

I have to add that it is all working fine at 180mm/min which is as fast as it needs to be. Accuracy is more important than speed.

With dual leadscrews each with their own motors I could only get 225mm/min.

Edited by tekkydave

Gina    9,058

There's a 60mm long NEMA 17 though not from Ooznest.  I've seen them from other sellers I use.  But if you're satisfied with what you've got, fair enough.

tekkydave    907

Another option is 3x leadscrews each with their own motors. This would allow true bed levelling by the Duet but would also need either an expansion board (Duex) or custom driver board.

• Like 1

tekkydave    907
4 minutes ago, Gina said:

There's a 60mm long NEMA 17 though not from Ooznest.  I've seen them from other sellers I use.  But if you're satisfied with what you've got, fair enough.

Ooznest do a 60mm motor with 82 Ncm holding torque. Would probably give some improvement but its not going to be blindingly fast in any case.

Dr_Ju_ju    387

Duet, by default wires the two Z motor ports in series on the board, so in theory you could just do some additional breakout wiring to have all three motors running in series As long as the drivers can supply enough current (2.4A limited from 2.8A) (https://www.duet3d.com/wiki/Duet_Features)

Edited by Dr_Ju_ju
  • Like 1

tekkydave    907

Yes, that's a possibility.

I'll see how it goes for now before spending any more cash on it.

tekkydave    907

I might try running it off 24V to see if it makes a difference. I'll disconnect the 12v fans & extruder heater cartridge first though :) 

Gina    9,058

I was going to suggest running 3 motors in series from a 24v supply.  No individual control though.

• Like 1

tekkydave    907

Just did a quick experiment running the Duet off a 24V supply.

With 12V I was getting 180mm/min maximum z axis speed :sad2:

With 24V I can get it up to 380mm/min before the motor starts stalling :biggrin:

24V might give my 0.9 degree Titan motor a bit more oomph as well.

Seems a no-brainer to go 24V then. I'll have to get a 24V PSU, 24V fans and a 24V heater cartridge.

I can't think of any downsides to it unless anyone else has a view.

Dr_Ju_ju    387

As you are driving the bed from the mains, as am I, I bought one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24V-Best-quality-15A-360W-Switching-Power-Supply-For-LED-CCTV-Regulator-AC-to-DC/252989158017?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649, the only problem with it, was a noisy fan, soon rectified with a quieter device.

Also double check all the end stops, any case fans, LED strips etc. and plan accordingly...

• Like 1

tekkydave    907

Thanks for the link. I was hoping to get a slightly less powerful PSU and get one without a fan if possible.

As you say I don't need Amps for the bed as it is on a SSR. I could probably manage fine on a 240W (10A) supply.

Dr_Ju_ju    387

Non fanned supplies have more 'open' casing, giving the potential for small items, like motor screws, to drop inside... 

I worked on the basis of 5 off 2A motors plus additional for heaters fans etc. giving the closest approximation to 15A

• Like 2

tekkydave    907

Unless I change the design I only have 3 large motors and 1 small one (extruder). I suppose a larger PSU gives a bit more room for expansion later with LED lights etc a possibility.

Gina    9,058

I plan to use 24v for my Giant printer.  I already have a 24v 60w cartridge hotend heater to go with a Volcano hotend.  I shall need a 24v hotend fan.  I might also change to 24v on my Titan printer (I have two 24v hotend heaters).  It has a 24v bed heater running off one of those 24v 360W PSU that Julian linked to.  That has a DIY power MOSFET driver but the Duet could handle the 15A directly, though only with a massive 24v PSU.  It would be nice to upgrade the bed heater on that to mains voltage - makes sense.

Gina    9,058

The 24v PSU fan doesn't make much noise depending on the load and even at full load it's not too bad.

Gina    9,058

One thing I'm thinking about is that if I want to run off 24v, I can't use an ATX PSU (12v).   I shall want a 5v PSU and an SSR to switch the main 24v supply so that the printer can power down (except for 5v) when printing has finished and hotend cooled.  I often print overnight.

tekkydave    907

The 12V supply I have at the moment had a really noisy fan in it. Replaced it with a quieter one but it was still fairly noisy. I ended up putting a buck converter inline with the fan to slow it down a bit!

tekkydave    907

Ok. I have taken Julian's recommendation on the PSU and ordered one. Also ordered the 30mm and 40mm fans I need plus a 60W 24V cartridge heater from Makers Hut.