Narrowband

Best beginners telescope Mid Sussex Clubs

Hi I am new to astromony and wish to know which are the best telescopes to look at that I will not outgrow please?

Also does anyone know of any clubs on the Mid Sussex area please?

Thanks 

Lola

Almost impossible to say which scope. Being one that likes refractors I wouls suggest something like the Bresser 102L (L bing the longer focal length then the S version) I have the S version.

Not too much trouble to transport (car I assume), will show a good range of things. Should be able toi use it for a few years until you decide or find out what it is that you are drawn to.  Equally people tend to decide on that fairly quick as More Aperture is often wanted or more magnification. 

Mount is likely to be a big factor, Suggest equitorial and put up with the learning curve. A bit more complex then an Alt/Az but they are the "standard" telescope mount.

Depending on ease of size I half suggest something along the lines of an EQ5.

Clubs: http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/

Easier for you to search out your own as you may be sort of East.West or splat in the middle of mid-sussex.

Will say you are likely to get told each variety of scope as the ideal one. See if a club has a public night planned or if you can go along on a club observing night to look at the assortment of scopes. Ultimately I go by the theory that your best scope is the one you use the most.

What budget do you anticipate, any (even distant vague ones) of trying astrophotography ?

As above idea of budget and what you want to concentrate on would help us guide you in the right direction.

Getting to see various scopes in action is an excellent idea.

Where will you do your observing, do you intend to travel to better skies or perhaps you are lucky enough to live in a dark sky area.

Take your time and keep asking questions.

Good luck.

Hi, Lola. As above, almost impossible to advise without knowing more about things like budget; how you want to use it (garden/dark site); how much weight you can move around easily, etc. And when it comes to astrophotography there are many more questions to be answered.

Finding a club and/or getting your hands on different scopes to get a feel for them is definitely the way to go. The thing is that there are many ways to 'outgrow' in this hobby ...

Sorry this is not immediately helpful but better that than giving you misguided information.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch by Alan but the same advice.

Archived