Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My First Real Telescope

Well, I finally got a real telescope. Scored a Meade ETX 90 Astro telescope on the Denver Craigslist for $65 from the original owner. I had to travel from Cheyenne Wyoming to Westminster Colorado (208 mile round trip) to pick it up, burned 11.2 gallons of gas @ $2.15 per gallon. So if you add gas cost of $24.08 to the purchase price, I spent a total of $89.08 for it. I found the ad 2 hours after it was posted, and was the first person to contact the seller. He stated it had not been used in the last 7 years and was taking up space in his garage. Shot down the next morning to check it out. When I arrived was informed by the seller that 10 other people had responded to the ad and he had evidently drastically underpriced it. He was a man of his word and held up his end of the deal at the quoted price. After I checked it over it seems as if I could not get the money out of my pocket fast enough lest he changed his mind.  I felt as if I had stolen it. Besides the original box, it came with a Meade #126 2X Barlow (07273), Meade #932 45 degree Erect Image Prism (07210), Meade Series 4000 SP26mm eyepiece (07175-03), Meade 8x21 Erect Image Viewfinder (07426), and a Vangaurd VT132 heavy duty tripod. According to the original sales receipt in the box the scope ($599) and barlow lens ($53) were purchased at the Cherry Creek mall in Denver, Colorado on 12-07-98. The owner’s manual is missing. The OTA is in excellent shape. The corrector lens shows no sign of damage. The secondary baffle shows no sign of migration. The focus works, The flip mirror works. Have not checked collimation yet. The front dust cap is present, but the photo port cover and 90 degree eyepiece holder dust cap were missing. I used a clear 35mm film canister snap on lid on the photo port and the base of the canister inserted into the 90 degree eyepiece holder to act as interim dust caps.  The drive base is in good condition. Installed 3 AA batteries switched it on and the RA drive works. There is no evidence of acid damage on the battery holders. The RA setting circle appears to be stuck only in the area of the tape overlap and won’t turn. The tripod head supports the OTA/Drive well with head at 41 degrees, and has a detachable handle.

Looking forward to viewing the heavens with my 12 year old grandson, and perhaps doing some astrophotography with my Nikon D5200 DSLR.

sparksnsuch

Archived