SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter - Observation of white oval

N3ptune

Hi, last night I had a look at Jupiter again hoping to spot a white oval. The observation has taken place at around 2:00(AM) UTC with a reflector telescope, 143x. With medium transparency condition, not optimal.

I think I spotted a white oval but there is no way for me to prove it, the point A (upside down image). Is there any way or a WWW tool to visualize the face of Jupiter at a given time? for me to to be able to compare what was truly visible vs what I saw, to validate my observation.

And of course, if anyone can validate my sketch for the white Oval :smiley:

Thanks.

dYixRQg.jpg

In Sky Safari Plus, search for Jupiter; zoom in and 'centre' it, then run the time to when you want. The disc will rotate as the time changes showing what's visible and when.

This may be possible in Stellarium and other applications. I don't know.

Hi N3ptune,

Well sorry to say I have no idea on the White Spot but in Stellarium just press F5 and set the time to when you were looking, followed by F3 to search for Jupiter. Once its found just use your scroll wheel or touch pad to zoom in with the mouse scroll wheel.

Doing that I managed this. For 28/04/17 2 am UTC.

Hope that helps.

SF

JupiterCrop.jpg

OK so ignore that last image, forgot to convert UTC to BST... I think it should be 3 am if so its this image and if not well play around and I am sure someone else can tell us both the right conversion.

Thanks.

JupiterCrop.jpg

I don't think SkySafari is accurate in terms of other features? GRS is shown in the correct position but I've always assumed the rest of the features are just a representation of the normal belts.

Best bet may be to look at the imaging forum and see if anyone has an image at the same time?

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I don't think SkySafari is accurate in terms of other features? GRS is shown in the correct position but I've always assumed the rest of the features are just a representation of the normal belts.

Best bet may be to look at the imaging forum and see if anyone has an image at the same time?

Och! How disappointing.

Can confirm the GRS is correct when using it previously and 'always assumed' everything else was, too.

Far too trusting a chap ... or maybe just naive? ?

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Is that the same for Stellarium? Floater, your not the only one :s

6 minutes ago, N3ptune said:

Ok i think it was probably some turbulence between the white equatorial center and the north equatorial band.. maybe

I suspect that is correct. Keep at it! I don't think I've ever knowingly seen one!

What I usually do is to check to see if anyone in the imaging section was imaging Jupiter at a similar time that I was viewing it. This can be a good way to confirm, or otherwise, a feature.

I agree with Stu that, apart from the position of the GRS and the moons / shadow transits, the simulations don't give you a "live" picture of the current state of Jupiters features. The planet is much to dynamic for that.

I have seen white ovals on Jupiter but, thus far, only with my 12" dobsonian. I've suspected them once or twice with my ED120 but I've only seen them for sure with the larger aperture scope.

I was observing Jupiter last night with a C8se from Tenerife. On first view, the C8 had been out for some time looking at lunar occultations, I was immediately struck by what I saw to b a very bright "ovallish" area bordering the NEB and the white Equatorial zone. In fact it seemed considerably brighter than the general EZ area. This was about 12.15am. Shortly after, a few small patches of slow moving cloud arrived so I retired inside for a cuppa, returning outside afterwards I was horrified to find that it had RAINED on my unprotected gear!. This put paid to my plan to observe Saturn next.  :cussing:

Thanks for the tips, ill take a look at the photography section. Hopefully the 8" will show an Oval someday... not impossible @John if you suspect you saw one with the ED120

@Peter Drew Ahhh sorry for your experience with the rain, I hope that there has been no damages on your gear.

Just to be sure of Sky Safari's representation of Jupiter I sent a request for info from the developers and received the reply copied below.

Kudos to the developers for replying (swiftly, too) ... and to Stu and John for being right. :hello2:

Gordon,

No, the surface features are depicted as from an image several years ago.  The GRS location is accurate but the other features are just taken from the image.
Bill Tschumy, SkySafari Developer

I thought that was the case as I was seeing loads of different detail through the eyepiece that did not appear in SkySafari.  Shame the image of Jupiter is not updated rather more frequently though as it would be very useful!

I think the best thing to do is take really detailed notes / sketch if possible and then refer to images (I don't the clouds shift that much of the period of month? so there should be a good lot to compare against.)

If anyone knows of a site that provides more up-to-date view of Jupiter's clouds that would be great!

Archived