Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

London vs isle of wight

GavStar

At long last today I took my Tak FC100DF to our 'seaside' house in the Isle of Wight.

Pleasingly there was a nice clear sky so I managed to do some observing in the back garden. First problem was too many stars - I struggled to get my bearings for a while since the skies looked so different to what I'm used to in London. Also the aspect is east rather than south.

So I started with an easy target, Jupiter. It was nice but I've got better views in London recently so I moved on quickly to DSOs.

I haven't done much observing in the summer before and with the easterly aspect I was hitting many summer targets which was fun since they were relatively unfamiliar.

M13 - very impressive with extended graininess. 

Epsilon Lyrae - first time I've observed this and split it immediately at 160x. Pinpoint stars with clear sky between them. Really pleased with how easy it split.

Albireo - just really pretty with the yellow and blue constrasting colours very obvious.

Finally, since it was getting late, I tried the ring nebula M57. At 75x the ring was very defined.

So a short session but a lot of fun. The great skies really gave the scope a chance to shine. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too many stars, lol, a nice problem to have. 

Been resisting buying one of those Tak's for visual.

I lived on the Isle of Wight until I was 11 and try to get back from time to time in the camper van, the cost of the ferry is a bit prohibitive though, usually stay on a site on the south west coast, nice to lay on the lounger and see the Milky Way arching overhead.

I would like to live there but Mrs T wouldn't :grin:

Dave

I have been to the IOW star party twice.  Got clear skies for 20mins the first time between clouds, and the 2nd time the only clear night we got there was sea fog, so didn't see a damn thing.

Such a shame it must be awesome when the skies are clear with no sea fog.

Carole 

7 hours ago, carastro said:

I have been to the IOW star party twice.  Got clear skies for 20mins the first time between clouds, and the 2nd time the only clear night we got there was sea fog, so didn't see a damn thing.

Such a shame it must be awesome when the skies are clear with no sea fog.

Carole 

That's a shame. I've only been to one iow star party and we had two excellent clear nights. Very cold though...

18 minutes ago, Scosmico said:

Some people would say that real dark skies are SQM >22. In absence of any measuring equipment,  I say when "there are too many stars.

Nice to read your report. 

Didn't think >22 was possible?

Too many stars is a great way of assessing things anyway :) 

1 hour ago, Gavster said:

Unfortunately I forgot to take my Sqm meter with me this time. I'll try to remember next time - should comfortably beat the 18.6 I get in London!!!

At the April meeting of Baker Street Irregular Astronomers in Regent's Park I obtained a reading of 17.3 - it's tough in London!

1 minute ago, ericemms said:

At the April meeting of Baker Street Irregular Astronomers in Regent's Park I obtained a reading of 17.3 - it's tough in London!

and at the Isle of Wight StarParty at Brightstone in March I got a 21.2 reading with my SQM-L meter.

I am off to the IOW for a weeks holiday later this month, haven't deiced if I will take my 100Ed  + HEQ5, or go simple with a SW Star Adventure + DSLR and possibly bolt my spotting scope on for visual. We will be around Seaview so not expecting it to be particularly dark at the rented cottage, but could drive out along the coast to Bembridge Fort or go West of Blackgang Chine. Any idea of a suitable place to try? 

Drive along the Military Road between Blackgang Chine and Brightstone, quite a few good spots to park and you may be able to sneak into the campsite at Chale for an evening and drive to the cliff top.

Dave

You got to go a long way to find cruddier skies than London.... shooting stars? Nope that would be planes into Heathrow!

You're all welcome to the October starparty at Brighstone, milky way from dusk to dawn! Had a few poor events, but had a clear allnighter once too! Only mag 21.5 skies, some glow from England and Bournemouth...  hopefully the new lighting will darken them a bit. At home seems that Gav has skies as "great" as mine! On the Isle of Wight you want to head to the south west where the people aren't away from the villages, anywhere should do.

• 3 months later...

Hi all 

So that the Iow does not take all the dark sky here in Gosport my SQL reading is 20.67 which is good for a urban location but i only have to go just north of the south downs to get into +22.00 dark skies. And there are plans to put in smart lighting so cutting down the local light pollution even more its just a shame that the biggest light polluter is Portsmouth to my east.

Paul

14 minutes ago, The storm fisherman said:

Hi all 

So that the Iow does not take all the dark sky here in Gosport my SQL reading is 20.67 which is good for a urban location but i only have to go just north of the south downs to get into +22.00 dark skies. And there are plans to put in smart lighting so cutting down the local light pollution even more its just a shame that the biggest light polluter is Portsmouth to my east.

Paul

Whereabouts have you measured over mag 22 near the South Downs? Need to get that that site! We managed 21.3 (if I remember correctly) at Bignor the other night which I thought was pretty good.

Archived