Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Treated myself to a new mount - Vixen GP2

CraigT82

After struggling along with my old CG-5 for what seems like decades (actually only about 5 years) I decided to finally treat myself to a new mount.  I was after something to mount my Skymax 150 on for planetary/lunar imaging and I wanted something portable.  After considering a HEQ5 but ruling it out as too heavy I saw a Vixen GP2 on here and went for it.

The GP2 arrived today and oh my... What a difference!  Considering that the CG-5 is basically a copy of this GP2 there is a world of difference between them.  The GP2 is much better built, all the peripheral bits and covers fit much better and don't fall off. The movement of both axis is smooth and easy with no backlash or slop, it came with dual axis motors, the altitude adjustment works much more smoothly and it just about balances with the small weight :)   It's really made me realise just how old and knackered my CG-5 actually was.

Cant wait to get this out under the sky, should make my imaging much much easier as hopefully I won't be chasing the target around the chip!

Thanks Alan!

IMG_20170428_172235.jpg

Archived