Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Mr Spock

The Disillusioned Astronomer

Last weekend I had my scope out for the first time in ages. Usually, the mount is too heavy for my bad back but I decided to give it a go.

The obvious target was jupiter. Everyone who posted about that night said what lovely views they had. What I saw was a blurry mess. I could make out a few belts and just about see the GRS.
I had a look at a few stars to check my collimation; it was just fine, however... looking at Regulus made me think I was looking through a Kaleidoscope.

I'm used to this now. Seeing was absolute pants. It's obviously local as others were having good views.

Deep sky? Forget it! Once upon a time, many years ago, I could see the milkyway. Then the orange glow started to spread and it disappeared. In the last year or so this has been replaced with LED glow - the sky is now a nice pale grey...

Maybe it's time to find a new hobby - crocheting perhaps... :tongue2:

• Like 6

don't be Disillusioned Michael, I live in a darksite but the seeings been pants here for most of this year, where due for some good skys soon.. chin up mate, charl.

• Like 1

"crocheting perhaps.."

Careful, still possible to drop stitches,  knot the skein or for the cat to attack the output in a tooth and claw frenzy !!!!.....   stick to the gentle art of star-gazing...

• Like 2

I don't know about a disillusioned astronomer, I'd just give my hind teeth for enough fine nights (actually one would suffice at the moment) to have a bash at actually getting to grips with the hobby and actually becoming an astronomer!

• Like 3

Why take up another hobby? It just sounds like you need to buy some more astro kit...with all the time you will spend tinkering with it there will be no time to do any actual stargazing/imaging anyway!

Crocheting will just give you arthritis anyway...

• Like 4

Take up long slit spectroscopy. Seeing is not a major issue and the bright sky can be subtracted off.

Perfect.

Regards Andrew

• Like 1

Mr Spock! A short visit to Sick Bay, on Deck 3, and you'll be back right as rain!

(Oh! What have I said!?)

???

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Floater said:

Mr Spock! A short visit to Sick Bay, on Deck 3, and you'll be back right as rain!

The trouble is, as the good doctor would say, that he is "a Doctor not a weatherman!"

I recommend Tunisian crochet. It doesn't get prettier than that.

images.jpg.4a3a7a83beaba2c82be620dc1dbd66cc.jpg Link

• Like 1

If you are really looking in crochet I might be able to assist with two Jacob shearling fleeces later on this year if you want to spin your own yarn.

20 minutes ago, JOC said:

The trouble is, as the good doctor would say, that he is "a Doctor not a weatherman

Time for a "colorful metaphor"?

• Like 3

My mother was very fond of crochet - and it was she who first pointed out constellations to me as a small child.  So there IS a connection!

Don't despair, Michael!

Doug.

Sounds like you lot are trying to stitch the poor fellah up...

I'll get my coat...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ruud said:

I recommend Tunisian crochet. It doesn't get prettier than that.

images.jpg.4a3a7a83beaba2c82be620dc1dbd66cc.jpg Link

Ahhh crochet. I thought you guys were talking about :

Croquet.jpg.6cec21ae074e8c67ccd78ec92abf7f08.jpg

You really are disillusioned..

edit : and I really get lost in translation more often than not..

Edited by Pondus
  • Like 5

What you need Mr Spock is a yard obsy for your too heavy scope so you're ready to go at a moments notice.  Chances are the scope will be more at equalibrian to night temps and less cool down time on Jupiter. 

But even that wouldn't satisy me - I want and get detailed galaxies views by dumping the EP for a little USB cam to laptop like M51 in just 3s exp and in 30s or more in colour.  My YouTube sampler

Nytecam 

m51g160405x3smgx.jpg

Edited by nytecam
  • Like 4

Michael, we are in the same boat regard LP and weather (i`m not moaning) you have even more LP than me, i have the moist atmosphere.

I stick to accessible targets like Luna and planets, some double stars and a few clusters, I really do have to wonder if you are not using the 925 and big mount so often, is it time to scale down, sell the heavy kit and invest in a more portable set up, my 102 Maksutov has been, and is a great asset, it lives in an outbuilding, is always at right temp and gives great views of what i like.............just a thought 

I don't bring out my scope until I take a look at the sky with my binoculars, and check at the transparency and seeing on a web page like this. 
If the seeing is average or better, I'll observe.

DenverCOcsk.gif

If I may recommend taking up macrame. A gentle daytime pursuit and a bit of a lost art these days. It will soothe the nerves, calm the spirit and prepare the mind for those unexpected clear nights.

• Like 1

Take a break from astronomy - rather than painting bullseye's on your backsides. And find an easier to tote telescope as a gift to your back.

Everyone hits a 'fugue-stage' whereby their identity as a fill-in-the-blank takes a vacation for awhile.

You'll be back.

Dave

Edited by Dave In Vermont
sp.

you could always take up weather watching,there is always plenty of that around :)