Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from North Wales

SNT

Hi all

Despite a life long love with astronomy (and borderline obsession - you ought to have seen my wife's response when she learnt I'd done a part-time MSc in astrophysics just for the fun of it!), I've never actually been able to justify owning a telescope.

That has now changed, with my better half surprising me with one as a 50th birthday present, with the comment that our boys are now old enough (at 9 & 10) to spend evenings starting at the skies with their dad, and that they should use something other than just their eyes!

So I am now the proud owner of a Bresser 4" f/10 achromat on a EQ5 type mount, and despite lousy light pollution, weather and seeing since, we've have several enjoyable observing sessions, with M42 being a particular highlight so far.

Having now discovered this clearly friendly and knowledgeable community, I  have a number of questions to ask, about eyepieces, bags and good observing locations amongst other things, but I'll put those in more appropriate places.

Anyway, this has ended up far longer than I intended, so I'd better stop...

Shane

Welcome. You may have waited a long time for the scope, but better late than never! (And any necessary 'justification' is there before your eyes ... ?)

Hope you and your young 'uns have lots of great fun.

Welcome to SGL I think there is a map somewhere telling you where dark skies are but there are a few places around snowdonia as for eyepieces the slower Fracs (f10) I have been told are easy on eyepieces so plossls and orthoscopics would be fine. This is what I was told for my Tal 100rs. 

Archived