Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The dim face of the Ghost of Cassiopeia

gorann

This HaRGB close up of the "Ghost of Cassiopeia" is processed from data from the Liverpool Telescope on La Palma, Canary Islands. Since it is almost 2 hours of data from a 2 meter scope I expected to see more detail, but maybe the face of a ghost does not have much detail. Possibly there is dust in between us and the ghost that blur the image, since this big scope is normally excellent at capturing the fine details.
Exposures (varied between 60 and 120 s, so approx. average times given) and filters used:
sdss-r 19 x 90 s
Ha 17 x 120 s
Bessell B 14 x 90 s
sdss-g 6 x 90 s
Bessell V 12 x 90 s
sdss-r and Ha was combined 50:50 for the red channel
Bessell B and sdss-g was combined 67:33 for the blue channel
Bessell V was used for the green channel

So, what do you think - do ghosts have dim features? I know, it cannot be excluded that it is just the work of a dim processer.....

LT IC63 RGB PS12sign.jpg

29 minutes ago, Droogie 2001 said:

Great image. I am trying to see the ghost. From my perspective it looks like you standard "white sheet" ghost with its arms out stretched!

Thanks!

It is easier to see the ghost in a wider field image, like this one

IMG2028-53+2120-49NyPS9+JMHaPS6sign.jpg

1 minute ago, Droogie 2001 said:

Arhh yes. Now looks even more creepy. I can see a hooded figure with its arms stretched out wanting an embrace! :shocked:

Got to love Nebulas and their visual characteristics.

Yes, this is one of the most suggestive ones. Parental guidance recommended and should not be observed just before bedtime

On 2017-04-28 at 12:01, wimvb said:

Looks good to me.

Challenge: would combining the Liverpool data with you excellent wide field improve the latter in any way?

Tack Wim!

I like merging images but in this case I think the difference in resolution (including star sizes) is a bit too big and the features of the face would not be very apparent in the wide field.

Archived