Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Simeis 147 - Now in colour

andrewluck

I finally had to call it a year with this target as it sank into the twilight. Total tally was 51 hours of HaRGB across the four panels of the mosaic. This copy is re-sampled for the web. The original is over 8000 pixels across which in 32bit weighs in at about 510MB!

Processed in Pixinsight, GradientMergeMosaic is a really powerful process.

Simeis147_blog.thumb.jpg.e6bcbf887bcaff40d91a371b3f9fef68.jpg

Hi Andrew,

you finished something what I still have to complete. A really really wonderful job! I'm also using the FSQ85 but have a smaller chip, therefore I need 9 panels. This year I could only capture 4 panels, so still 5 to come... Right now I added the TAK reducer, may be I could reduce the remaining panels to 3 next season. I tried to process my mosaic with PI gradientmergemosaic, but I did not work at all, si I did it manually with Photoshop. It was hard work. If you like to see my result (it's a bicolor version - no RGB), here is the link: http://www.spaceimages.de/en/astrophotos/nebula/sh2-240-mosaic

Jens

This is an absolutely stunning image and I congratulate you on capturing this huge amount of data although to my eye, the background is a little bright. This is such a subjective point though but your data is more than strong enough to benefit from a small tweak to the black point by way of experiment.

A long time ambition of mine and a big driver behind the new camera purchase!

At the moment I still prefer the monochrome image. The fainter Ha tendrils are rendered better and there's definitely room for improvement in the colour version. After a rethink I'll have to revisit the processing.

The G3-16200 camera is working a lot better on the Tak now and I'm really pleased with it. I'm sure there's still some improvement can be made but it can wait until after I get back from Namibia in June as the camera will be coming off for that trip any way.

Archived