Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Photos added?. . My Astro dreams have come true?

From memory if you look to the night sky with pure CaF2 (fluorite) optics everything suddenly becomes a dark velvet black !

Objects then stand out ... colours and structures can be seen that were previously invisible  , a modern equivalent could 

be using an OLED v an LED TV (whoops wrong forum ?)

Brian 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, John said:

Jupiter is ruling here right now :icon_biggrin:

GRS is showing really well !

Hope you have some clear skies with you Dave :icon_biggrin:

Hi John

Typically we had cloud and weekend visitors last night so no first light or even assembly of the scope yet

Hopefully soon though :-)

Dave

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Hi John

Typically we had cloud and weekend visitors last night so no first light or even assembly of the scope yet

Hopefully soon though :-)

Dave

You must be climbing the walls, Dave, fingers crossed for first light very soon....and please don't delay in telling us about it :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Lock said:

You must be climbing the walls, Dave, fingers crossed for first light very soon....and please don't delay in telling us about it :) 

I won't Chris..the scope also came with Tak prism diagonal, Vari-Extender and 7.5mm and 18mm LE EP's:-)...

Dave

• Like 2

Hi all,

I'd just like to thank everyone so much for their kind words and for joining me in celebrating what for me is definitely the scope of a lifetime. 

At the moment the scope is in boxes as we have visitors over for the Bank Holiday and I don't want to be rude by disappearing off into my mancave with a long metal tube...but as soon as decently possible I will be getting up close and personal with it!

A few early observations (sorry) on the scope itself.

The overall condition can only be described as "mint". It is virtually unmarked, even though it is 18 years old. Serial number 99008, so built in 1999, the 8th of it's type of that year to be built. The mount was built in 1998, and is, I believe, the model before the EM10 which morphed into the EM11. I think the main difference between them is that my earlier EM2 only has RA electric drive, with slow motion controls to both axes (I think the EM10/11 came with GOTO). That is absolutely fine by me as I am visual only, although I do like to track with the mount at high powers. The manual states clearly that on good nights magnifications of x100 per inch of aperture are readiliy possible:D. The  Tak finder is 7x50mm and beautifully built, with helical focuser and I believe it has an illuminated reticule with it...certainly, one can be retro fitted to it if not.

The scope also came with Tak LE 7.5mm and 18mm eyepieces, (I have used 18mm LE's before and was very impressed with them), a Tak 1.25" diagonal prism, and a very interesting Tak Vari-Extender, which apparently can give a range of barlow type increased magnifications from 1.6x to up to at least 3x, perhaps more.

The mount itself is of lovely build, with polar illuminated scope and flawless finish. It's definitely "beefier" than my recently sold Vixen GP mount, I would say closer to the GPDX in size. It seems overengineered for the official 7kg capacity, and I believe the true capacity to be nearer to 10kg. We will see. The scope tube weighs 7.5kg, remarkably light for such a large tube. For those of you that are familiar with the Skywatcher/Helios Evostar/Celestron CR 150mm achro F8, the Tak is of similar diameter tube, but shorter and much lighter. It's an impressive looking tube, with flawless finish. The large 2.7" focuser (R&P) is buttery smooth. This is the first Tak I have ever seen in the flesh, and, nice though they look in photos, I honestly think they look so much better in real life.

The optics on the lens are like new, clearly never touched or cleaned, in a beautifully engineered oversized cell which is fully collimatable , (I will NOT be touching that though!). The single cradle for mounting the tube on the eq mount is very heavy duty and feels rock solid.

The tripod is fully extendable, made of hardwood and looks ideally suited to supporting the mount and scope, again in as new condition.

I think I am going to have some fun with this setup!

I'll post more in the equipment review section when I've had a proper chance to set it up and have first light. And pictures of course..:grin::grin:.

Thanks again for all your kind posts everyone:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 10

8 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Hi all,

I'd just like to thank everyone so much for their kind words and for joining me in celebrating what for me is definitely the scope of a lifetime. 

At the moment the scope is in boxes as we have visitors over for the Bank Holiday and I don't want to be rude by disappearing off into my mancave with a long metal tube...but as soon as decently possible I will be getting up close and personal with it!

The overall condition can only be described as "mint". It is virtually unmarked, even though it is 18 years old. Serial number 99008, so built in 1999, the 8th of it's type of that year to be built. The mount was built in 1998, and is, I believe, the model before the EM10 which morphed into the EM11. I think the main difference between them is that my earlier EM2 only has RA electric drive, with slow motion controls to both axes (I think the EM10/11 came with GOTO). That is absolutely fine by me as I am visual only, although I do like to track with the mount at high powers. The manual states clearly that on good nights magnifications of x100 per inch of aperture are readiliy possible:D. The  Tak finder is 7x50mm and beautifully built, with helical focuser and I believe it has an illuminated reticule with it...certainly, one can be retro fitted to it if not.

The scope also came with Tak LE 7.5mm and 18mm eyepieces, (I have used 18mm LE's before and was very impressed with them), a Tak 1.25" diagonal prism, and a very interesting Tak Vari-Extender, which apparently can give a range of barlow type increased magnifications from 1.6x to up to at least 3x, perhaps more.

The mount itself is of lovely build, with polar illuminated scope and flawless finish. It's definitely "beefier" than my recently sold Vixen GP mount, I would say closer to the GPDX in size. It seems overengineered for the official 7kg capacity, and I believe the true capacity to be nearer to 10kg. We will see. The scope tube weighs 7.5kg, remarkably light for such a large tube. For those of you that are familiar with the Skywatcher/Helios Evostar/Celestron CR 150mm achro F8, the Tak is of similar diameter tube, but shorter and much lighter. It's an impressive looking tube, with flawless finish. The large 2.7" focuser (R&P) is buttery smooth. This is the first Tak I have ever seen in the flesh, and, nice though they look in photos, I honestly think they look so much better in real life.

The optics on the lens are like new, clearly never touched or cleaned, in a beautifully engineered oversized cell which is fully collimatable , (I will NOT be touching that though!). The single cradle for mounting the tube on the eq mount is very heavy duty and feels rock solid.

The tripod is fully extendable, made of hardwood and looks ideally suited to supporting the mount and scope, again in as new condition.

I'll post more in the equipment review section when I've had a proper chance to set it up and have first light. And pictures of course..:grin::grin:.

Dave

Indeed, no need to touch collimation, it'll still be rock solid. As perfectly collimated as the day I picked it up..Nick Hudson from Trutek had collimated it on his workbench just before I arrived...

Glad you're enjoying it, and you haven't even looked through it yet! :)

Tony.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Hi all,

Dave

Wow - sounds like you've got a wonderful set up Dave. Impressed by the scope's lightness - and very nice to have the Tak eyepieces and prism to keep the weight down. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Those added pictures, wow what a nice pair of scopes.

The new house looks nice too.

Thanks Alan, we love the new house and hope to stay here for a long time?. Skies are dark, with just a couple of wretched sodium lamps in the lane, but I'm going to ask the council to put up a screen behind them..wish me luck on that!?.

Dave

• Like 1

Hello Dave,

Only just found this thread....

Welcome to the FS128 club :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

MIne was made a year before yours and has given me 9 years of great views. I have replaced the original focuser with a Feathertouch which is a perfect match for the quality of the OTA.

Have fun with it - and never sell it.

Here is mine in action......

fs128_snow.jpg

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 4

Congratulations, Dave, what a fantastic set-up :grin:

Having personally witnessed your legendary ability to resist buying and selling astro equipment I am sure you will comply with all the pleas above to make this one a keeper :rolleyes2:  :lol: 

I hope you get lots of enjoyment with it - the views should be superb!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dweller25 said:

Hello Dave,

Only just found this thread....

Welcome to the FS128 club :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

MIne was made a year before yours and has given me 9 years of great views. I have replaced the original focuser with a Feathertouch which is a perfect match for the quality of the OTA.

Have fun with it - and never sell it.

Here is mine in action......

fs128_snow.jpg

Hi David

Thanks?. I hope mine will be with me for as long as yours has been with you. I just can't wait to have a proper session with it.

I plan to keep the original focuser but will probably get a baader helical micro focuser to give that extra precision at very high powers.. I've used one before and they are very good. How high do you go with yours on very steady nights?

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DRT said:

Congratulations, Dave, what a fantastic set-up :grin:

Having personally witnessed your legendary ability to resist buying and selling astro equipment I am sure you will comply with all the pleas above to make this one a keeper :rolleyes2:  :lol: 

I hope you get lots of enjoyment with it - the views should be superb!

Thanks Derek..I think!? Anyone would think I bought and sold lots of stuff?????

I do sincerely intend for this scope to be my all rounder..I've said before that I think for a refractor lover, a good 5 incher offers the best of most world's as an all rounder: a real step up from 4",  but more manageable than most 6" and a lot cheaper than hi end 6 inchers too.

I loved my excellent D&G 5" F15, (now happily looked after by Steve (Saganite), but at 2m long, the tube and it's mounting requirements defeated me: the Tak is only about half that length though, so I hope I'll be able to handle it in the longer term.

Just want that first light!! - but Scotland is having all the best weather at the moment!?

Dave

• Like 5