Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Star101

Messier M51 WIP No Darks Bias or Flats

I have been trying as I might to get some good lights of M51 over the last few months but the clouds only clear when its a full moon :(

I managed to get two 600s images last night with no moon :D but then high cloud appeared and although I could see the stars, my camera picked up the haze of clouds.

Anyhow, here is a quick process of my lights ( 300s x 15 and 600s x15 ). Not cropped...look closely and you can see the stacking ;)

Hope you like.

Taken with C11 at f/10 using ATIK4120EX OSC on a Mesu 200 mount. Over the last few months of 2017.

M51 complete without BDF Best 270417 1850.jpg

• Like 8

That's a great image scale.  I have not yet tried F10--I am a wimp for F7.  I hate I clouds!

Rodd

• Like 1

Thanks Rodd,

I did take a image of M51 using the focal reducer at f/6.3 a while back but my wife wanted me to crop it for a picture to frame :o

So, I'm doing it again at f/10. lol

I have a feeling though that, in my mind, it will never be finished. I will never be happy with the image, always wanting more data.

And yes, the clouds just get in the way ....all the time.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Astroscot2
      For sale,   Mesu 200 heavy duty portable pier £220 hardy used, 50% off new price.  Could be  adapted to fit other EQ mounts.

Buyer collects due to size and weight.  Glasgow area.

Mark

• By MakeItSo
      Hi Folks, 
      Thanks for reading. 
      I am upgrading my mount for my observatory. I will be doing AP primarily but to be honest,  I also enjoy some visual.  I need about 30-40kg capacity. I had my heart set on the ridiculously expensive 10 Micron 2000 (coming in a about 12k when you figure all the extras needed). Something seemed wrong about that price....!
      I now have an opportunity to get a Mesu 200 Mark II. The mounts engineering looks unquestionable and I have yet to hear anything bad said about these mounts. The price is also very attractive compared to the 10 Micron. My issue is the control. I’m going to be honest - the controller looks rudimentary (and with no screen, controlling from the computer for visual may be annoying). I have no knowledge of Sidereal technology at all. I am very close to purchasing this mount but I would like some feedback on user experience regarding the software and control of the mount. I note the new version will have the Scitech I controller but I thought (perhaps incorrectly that the older version has the II controller). I am not sure if this is significant or not. 
      Opinions and feedback greatly appreciated. 
      Simon
    • By Astroscot2
      For sale,   Mesu 200 heavy duty portable pier £220 hardy used, 50% off new price.  Easily adapted to fit other EQ mounts.

Buyer collects due to size and weight.  Glasgow area.

Mark

• By MN66User
      I recently purchased an AG TC for use with a C11. But I am finding the instructions in the booklet that came with the device difficult to get my head around. I want to use this set up with a DSLR, but I'm not sure which adaptors or spacers I need. The booklet suggested the short BTA [TS Optics part TSSC-T2L] in combination with Baader vari-lock 46 [Part no. 2956946]] - which I have, with but that does not connect to the T-ring of my camera in such a way that the AG-TC is securely located. Can someone point me in the right direction as I think I need a custom adaptor for the 3.25" C11 SCT thread, to fit the AG-TC inside it. I have the standard Canon to 2" adaptor for use with any scope and I also have a 1mm thick T-ring for my Canon 700d / 60Da, that has a M42 female thread in it. The AG-TC can be sandwiched between the 1mm/M42F thread barrel connector I have but I think that I may not have enough back focus. I just want the right measurement for the length of the custom adaptor [3.25" SCT female to M42 Male] to mount it to the C11. Thanks. Robert
    • By knobby
      First attempt at any DSO other than the brighter stuff like M42 or Andromeda.
      Learning to use the AZ-Gti /Sharpcap polar align / windows synscan app / APT platesolving ... And guiding ! all in one night ?
      all went well so had a quick 30 mins on M51 (first time I'd ever managed to actually frame it ... Plate solving is amazing)
      90 second subs gain 420 and 5 darks and synthetic flat for dust bunnies / gradients
      Wish I'd have gone longer now as tried a 5 minute sub once guiding was working which looked good .
      Very noisy but only 30 mins .

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.