Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Leo + Leo Minor + Sextans over several nights

I bought a quality telescope cover for my 12" Dob last year which has allowed me to enjoy the clear nights that we have had recently without having to move the scope.

I wanted to have a good go at Leo with the many galaxies in the Herschel 615 list plus a few extra on Steve O'Meara's Secret Deep.

I used my 20mm Myraid, 13mm Ethos and 9mm Myraid to view these many galaxies over several nights.

First up M65, M66,  NGC 3628 , NGC 3593 then up to NGC 3596 and NGC 3655. Over to M95, M96, M105, NGC 3384, NGC 3389, NGC 3377, NGC 3412, NGC 3367. Tried to view UGC 5470 but found Regulus too bright. Then up to Algieba to view NGC 3226 and NGC 3227 (nice pair). Then over to that fine galaxies missed by Messier - NGC 2903.

The Secret Deep book lists 3 additional objects - a nice pair NGC 3607, NGC 3608 and NGC 3640.

Another nights viewing started with NGC 2964 almost in Leo Minor and close to Lynx. Being close to Leo Minor viewed NGC 3395 and NGC 3396 again a nice pair. Headed down to pick up NGC 3521 and a slight detour to NGC 3115 (Caldwell 53) Spindle Galaxy and then up again to NGC 3810.

I continue to be pleased with this Revelation 12" Dob but dark skies help plus the 100 degree EPs allow a relaxing view.

Still a few more objects in Leo before going back to Virgo and Coma Berencies.

Sounds like some good sessions Mark :icon_biggrin:

Do you find, as I do, that you can use just a couple of eyepieces for these galaxy hunting nights ?

I find most of the time the 21mm Ethos is all thats needed with the 13 mm on hand for a closer view as required.

18 minutes ago, John said:

Sounds like some good sessions Mark :icon_biggrin:

Do you find, as I do, that you can use just a couple of eyepieces for these galaxy hunting nights ?

I find most of the time the 21mm Ethos is all thats needed with the 13 mm on hand for a closer view as required.

Yes John I mainly use the 20mm Myraid and then a closer view with 13mm  Ethos. I also, not as much, use the 9mm Myraid.

Nice report and list of galaxies!  Certainly you were pretty productive! :)

The 10mm for me giving 2mm exit pupil with the 12" dob seems to perfect for really great views and detail within the galaxies  When in a field of galaxies like the other night with Virgo I found I didn't need anything else.  I'd guess that may be equivalent to your 13mm Ethos, John as your 12" dob has more focal length I believe than mine with 1500mm.

Archived