Narrowband

recommend me a planetarium software

iwols

hi all been using stellarium,a great piece of free software,but latest versions seem a bit buggy so was wondering if any one can recommend me something similar for guiding my scope for astrophotography thanks

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll also suggest Cartes du Ceil (Sky Charts) from France. It just updated after about 6 years. It stays steady and is quite no-nonsense and highly accurate. It also can be set-up to one's personal tastes. I'll leave a shot of mine - freshly started, it's much simpler. FREE, of course:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/skychart/

Hope this fits the bill,

Dave

59013e3cd78f0_CdCV4_021.thumb.png.44c6b975e87c5b423a48d4f2adf7c85b.png

Click for Full-Size

7 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

I'll also suggest Cartes du Ceil (Sky Charts) from France. It just updated after about 6 years. It stays steady and is quite no-nonsense and highly accurate. It also can be set-up to one's personal tastes. I'll leave a shot of mine - freshly started, it's much simpler. FREE, of course:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/skychart/

Hope this fits the bill,

Dave

Another +1 for CdC , I've be using it for years.

Thanks for the heads up about the new version.

I use CdC with my ASA Mount with no problems at all .. I use it all of the time.

However ... looking at C2A it does allow for ASCOM connections ... you have to go into the settings to do this .... just as I did for my ASA Mount. I can't see any reason why you can use C2A

Mike

I had CdC installed on my laptop before I killed it and had to rebuild it. I never reinstalled CdC after the rebuild because I found the interface and controls counterintuitive. I know it's very powerful but I don't need it for scope control or anything too technical so easy to use and pretty star charts are more important to me.

No doubt, with some effort on my part, I could have developed some familiarity but launching Stellarium was always an easier option!

It should be possible to revert to an older more stable version of Stellarium or if there are specific bugs then Alex Wolf will be able to help, I'm sure. 

If we're now tossing in 'other' software-programs of the genre: Planetarium-Programs, one I use more than others isn't free - but considered excellent regardless of cost:

TheSkyX by SoftwareBisque. Available in several versions & configurations depending on your use levels. I use 'Serious Astronomers' version. Serves me fine:

http://www.bisque.com/sc/pages/TheSkyXSAE.aspx

And I'll leave a screenshot of mine - set-up as I have it. For now.....

Dave

59025aae8a1d0_Screenshot(197).thumb.png.1b1f34faea2f8e57e3bafd4d2bd8ad2e.png

Click on Image for Full-Size

20 hours ago, iwols said:

and is there a demo version

Try sending an email, or even a phone-call and ask. They are a very small & nice outfit in Colorado, and more than happy to answer such questions. Bisque are two brothers who created and produce these programs.

I've been using them for almost 20 years, so I don't know about demos' etc. I'm a bit past that. :cool:

Dave

13 hours ago, SlimPaling said:

I use CdC with my ASA Mount with no problems at all .. I use it all of the time.

However ... looking at C2A it does allow for ASCOM connections ... you have to go into the settings to do this .... just as I did for my ASA Mount. I can't see any reason why you can use C2A

Mike

Thanks Mike, I'll give it a go.

To add to Dave in Vermont's suggestions of planetarium software over and above the 'usual suspects', there is one called SkyMap. There is a demo version available on the site.  I did play around with it some years ago and IIRC, it's a bit like CdC in terms of form and function.

I use CdC. I like they way I can set it to look like a traditional chart for ease of printing.

Here I've created a finder chart for Pluto. Top left it shows me the field of view (39'51") and the limiting magnitude (16.50); bottom left is the position of the pointer.

CdC Pluto1.jpg

6 hours ago, r3i said:

To add to Dave in Vermont's suggestions of planetarium software over and above the 'usual suspects', there is one called SkyMap. There is a demo version available on the site.  I did play around with it some years ago and IIRC, it's a bit like CdC in terms of form and function.

Thats a name/prog from the past!  Had this on my old PC, IIRC came supplied on 3.5" floppy - youngsters will have to look that one up...

Archived