Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

April 26, 2017: Jupiter with C8, ASI224MC, and ADC, quick process

First shot of Jupiter with the ADC in place. It is a bit fiddly adjusting the settings, but the FireCapture ADC tool helps a lot. Seeing was rather wobbly, and I might want to reprocess later, but despite wobbly seeing there is quite some detail showing

Jupiter_224309_g4_ap54.png.103ed56f7d3c2057df59490c4af9ae3b.png

Jupiter_224817_g4_ap54.png.63625c717c2ae473e26b60ae22277ec0.png

There is a curious effect on the righthand boundary, Not sure if it is a stacking artefact, or whether wavelet processing enhances the slight shadow which should be on that limb, I think.

8 hours ago, Moonshane said:

Beautiful Michael

The artifact on the right is repeated to the left (in space though on that side)

Cheers Shane! Hadn't noticed it there. It disappears when using deringing in Registax, but that causes some blur on the edge.

I wonder if it in part stems from the duration of the video I took, and it is due to rotation. Might try to derotate.

Nice result Michael and some good detail popping through here - I get similar ringing effects with my setup, though it seems to be exacerbated by aggressive wavelet sharpening.    I don't think its a rotation effect per se, but interested in a definitive explananation.

What scope and focal length are you using?

1 hour ago, SnakeyJ said:

Nice result Michael and some good detail popping through here - I get similar ringing effects with my setup, though it seems to be exacerbated by aggressive wavelet sharpening.    I don't think its a rotation effect per se, but interested in a definitive explananation.

What scope and focal length are you using?

Cheers, Jake. I was using the C8 with 2.5x PowerMate. I am also not sure it is a rotation effect, at 120s it should not be this pronounced. I am looking into internal reflections (not from the L filter, that has been replaced). A couple of white ovals in the south temperate band seem to have a ghostly double as well. When I am back at work tomorrow, I might try so-called blind deconvolution methods, which estimate the point-spread function from the data. This might show up any internal reflection.

4 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Cheers, Jake. I was using the C8 with 2.5x PowerMate. I am also not sure it is a rotation effect, at 120s it should not be this pronounced. I am looking into internal reflections (not from the L filter, that has been replaced). A couple of white ovals in the south temperate band seem to have a ghostly double as well. When I am back at work tomorrow, I might try so-called blind deconvolution methods, which estimate the point-spread function from the data. This might show up any internal reflection.

It's still a cracking result from the C8 at 5m focal length or F25.     Hope you manage to nail the artefact and will keep an eye on the this thread.    I'm sure I recall a similar comment/effect with the ASI120, which was particularly pronounced at lower gain settings - but I can't recall enough to find the thread.

Archived