Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First sketch - Jupiter

Chefgage

After looking at all the great sketches on here it got me thinking. I go out observing and then come in. The next time I go out im not always sure if i am seeing more detail than last time due to the normal extended periods between clear skies. So as I dont intend on doing astrophotography any time soon, sketching what i see seems ideal!

Anyway I have armed myself with a sketch pad and a selction of pencils and turned the scope towards Jupiter and well heres my first sketch.

IMG_1476.JPG

Lovely sketch, always good to sketch what you see to ensure you every bit of detail from the object your observing and take your time.

Also I find myself flicking through my sketches from a year ago and I remember that session and a flood of memories hit me, especially the first time I observed an object.

I especially like the detail you observed on the belts and the GRS very detailed sketch, I look forward to seeing more of your work ?

Clear skies ??✨???

Richard

Very nice sketch, great to catch the GRS transit.

Just to note that I believe what you saw was not Io but it's shadow. Io appears light against the surface, but its shadow is jet black, like your sketch. Nicely done :) 

IMG_1661.PNG

43 minutes ago, Stu said:

Very nice sketch, great to catch the GRS transit.

Just to note that I believe what you saw was not Io but it's shadow. Io appears light against the surface, but its shadow is jet black, like your sketch. Nicely done :) 

IMG_1661.PNG

Sorry It must of been how I worded it. Yes what I drew was indeed Io's shadow and not the moon itself. I have seen a transit twice now (both Io) but on both occasions I could only make out the shadow and not the moon itself

10 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Nice first sketch of Jupiter. It's a great way of learning to see deeper and i hope you post more observations in the future.

What telescope did you use?

Mike ☺

This was from a Skywatcher skyliner 200p

17 hours ago, BXRO said:

Marvelous, thanks for sharing you skills with us sometimes i think people don't realise how valuable thier interpretation and art work is

To be honest i never thought about sketching at the eye piece but it's given me a bit more interest (not that i needed it!) than just observing. I have never been any good at drawing but im hoping to get plenty if practice in as long as them clouds stay away :icon_biggrin:

1 hour ago, Astro Imp said:

Nice work, I enjoy seeing what you talented guys can do at the eyepiece. I wouldn't know where to start but I do enjoy my observing, spent an hour or so on Jupiter last night.

Do what I did. Get some paper and a few different pencils and sketch away!

6 hours ago, Chefgage said:

To be honest i never thought about sketching at the eye piece but it's given me a but more interest (not that i needed it!) than just observing. I have never been any good at drawing but im hoping to get plenty if practice in as long as them clouds stay away :icon_biggrin:

It really doesn't matter that an observer is good at drawing or not, we all get better with practice and encouragement. The important thing is that sketching really does focus the observers attention. The more you draw, the more you'll see! It's also a great way of recording observations without having to write copious notes. I've often felt that when I start to draw, I'm drawn into the subject more fully, and see more subtle variations in tone and finer detail than I'd see by just looking. A pencil is a cheap way to enhance a telescopes performance! :icon_cyclops_ani:

Mike

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

It really doesn't matter that an observer is good at drawing or not, we all get better with practice and encouragement. The important thing is that sketching really does focus the observers attention. The more you draw, the more you'll see! It's also a great way of recording observations without having to write copious notes. I've often felt that when I start to draw, I'm drawn into the subject more fully, and see more subtle variations in tone and finer detail than I'd see by just looking. A pencil is a cheap way to enhance a telescopes performance! :icon_cyclops_ani:

Mike

It certainly does focus my attention. I am a bit impatient at times with astronomy, but i found that sat sketching what i see makes me take more in a sit longer looking a subject.

Archived