SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Light - WO Star 71 Dual Rig - Leo Triplet

gnomus

40 minutes ago, gorann said:

Looks like you have made a great investment there! I am curious about one thing. Were the scopes (different generations) and the CCDs (different brands) so well matched that you got exactly the same image scale, or do you have to tweak it before aligning the channels?

The focal lengths of the old and new Star 71s are identical.  The cameras have the same chip inside them.  So the arithmetic is fairly straightforward.  I think @swag72 in her AN article said that there might be a slight difference between her QSI and Moravian 8300s, in that one 'used' a few less pixels than the other (I can't remember the details).  Due to my own stupidity, I ended up mounting the Atik at 180 degrees to the Moravian.  However, I just used PI's star alignment to stack the files, and all seemed to work out well.  (I do have Registar and wondered if it might be required, but it wasn't).  At the moment, I do have the cameras ever so slightly misaligned (by around 1.75 degrees) - I just plunked them on the rig using a spirit level.  I will be taking care of that misalignment soon.      

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Allinthehead said:

Great first light. Any chance of an image of the setup? My next purchase will be another star 71 with another asi1600. How i'm going to clear that one with my accounting department is up for debate however.

Not tonight, because it is pouring with rain here.  But take a look at the current Astronomy Now.  Sara has an article in there about dual rigs.  Mine looks very similar to hers - except for cheaper scopes, a cheaper mount, cheaper cameras, etc.  :binkybaby:  The 'set up' is, however, very similar.

6 hours ago, gnomus said:

.......I think @swag72 in her AN article said that there might be a slight difference between her QSI and Moravian 8300s, in that one 'used' a few less pixels than the other (I can't remember the details). .........

Yes this was the case - Although the QSI and Moravian use the same KAF8300 chip, the QSI has less visible pixels and so the image from the Moravian is slightly larger... no big deal!

Archived