SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Star Adventurer sub length

Ags

I'm thinking of sticking a Star Adventurer on an AZ3 mount with a Canon 1100D and lenses up to 250mm. What sort of sub length could I expect? I've read everything from 30 seconds to 5 minutes...

Depends: Polar alignment, balance, wind, etc... One night you might get 3 mins then the next night you may struggle to get 1 min, even though everything is exactly the same!

I think most manage an average of around 90-120 secs with 250mm.  With a strudy tripod, spot on polar alignment (drift alignment or polemaster) and guiding in RA you may get up to 5 mins or more.

Ah! Good to know.

I have decided to get the Star Adventurer. I will need a travel tripod - if I may ask, what tripod did you use that scored the awesome 8 minutes @ 135mm?

10 hours ago, Ags said:

Ah! Good to know.

I have decided to get the Star Adventurer. I will need a travel tripod - if I may ask, what tripod did you use that scored the awesome 8 minutes @ 135mm?

I use an Astropro 187 tripod, which I believe is quite similar to the horizon 8115. Neither are too expensive and sometimes pop up second hand if you keep an eye out

Thanks, it looks pretty solid. I found a snippet of a SaN review of the 8115 online:

“Extends to an impressive height…The tripod remains stable even when extended, due to a bracket that locked the legs into place…We especially liked the way in which the adaptor plate was fitted into the mount, which is held in place by a sprung locking mechanism. Camera's and Telescopes are expensive, so it’s worth making sure they are securely attached.”
BBC Sky At Night Magazine

Archived