Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hercules rules ! 200 f6 Newt views.

cotterless45

IMG_4770.thumb.PNG.78bcc5f6053be15b27818896a81295b5.PNGStunning, but very chilly night. Went through the Draco galaxies, picking up NGC 4125 and NGC 4236. Over to Canes Venatici and from NGC 4111 through to NGC 5033 ( chart  below).

Hercules was up gave M13 a go. It was very sharp and contrasted with the now darkened sky in the east. Even before focusing , both this and M92 showed the bright points of the brightest stars. Tried for NGC 6207, but not enough contrast from the edge of town. NGC 6229 is worth a look being 100,000 lys.away .M53 presented a dimmer view than the other Messier's. The asterism "Webb's wreath" at 18h02m. +26 18' (SAO 85678) is worth a look.

Tried  for the comet 41p, not showing, but V2 Johnson was clear by direct viewing in the star field. Now in deep sky mode , found the small "White Pea" planetary nebula, IC4593 and the bigger and brighter NGC 6210. The brightest galaxy in I found to be NGC 6482.

IMG_4773.thumb.JPG.f0601b722adb72c43d0377c27d5d1087.JPGPlayed around with Jupiter and variously Barlow as high Misty stuff moved in. There , no binaries ! Although Rasalgethi is stunning as is the closer Sarin. It got chilly and had to warm my chinagraph pencil up before it set hard !

clear skies , Nick.

Thanks Nick. I have never heard of Webb's wreath so I checked out various star atlases. Its not mentioned in Uranometria although in Interstellarum its shown as Webb 2 or Ruby Ring. Its looks interesting from looking at Interstellarum so will give it a go.

I have found that 41P is getting more difficult although I did view it the other night in the 12".

Since I posted this reply 6 hours ago I have found a website - Demelza Ramakers - Asterisms which shows Webb's Wreath and Star 24 - Ruby Ring as separate items. Not allowed to reproduce without consent.

Great report Nick :icon_biggrin:

I managed to get both comets in Hercules last night but 41P was really tricky with the ED120. It's so diffuse that it's easy to pass right by it and miss the slightly brighter patch of sky. Averted vision helped confirm it was there but V2 Johnson, while smaller, was much more obvious.

M92 and M13 were superb as they got higher in the sky and away from the Brisol LP murk.

I hung about for some fine views later of M57 as well :icon_biggrin:

Twas a very nice night !

Archived