SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Explore Scientific 30mm 80 degree eyepiece.

I have just come in from a brief observing session using my 100mm F9 ED refractor. I have been testing my recently aquired 30 mm Explore Scientific 80 degree eyepiece. I bought it as a direct replacement for my 35mm Televue Panoptic. Here in South Hertfordshire the skies are light affected.The 35mm did not as a result give dark sky background.This may be the case for other longer focal length widefield eyepieces.I am delighted with the ES 30mm.It gives dark sky background and a view that is full of contrast.The Perseus Double Cluster was within the field of view and splendid.Stars are pretty much as expected with a premium eyepiece, well rounded/points all the way to the edges. This is my opinion as I saw things at about 11.30 p.m.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a very nice, comfortable, and affordable eyepiece. :) I don't think it is much behind the N31 as far as optical quality concerns. 

Glad that you enjoy yours! I like mine on my Dobson. 

I've actually been looking at the ES 82 30, the TV Panoptic 35, and the TV Nagler 31, in addition to some others, for like the last hour and a half trying to narrow down to a low power eye piece. I think the Nagler's out just due to the price tag.

I can't speak directly about the ExSc version, however I did own the Meade 30mm UWA which to all intents and purposes is the same eyepiece, element wise at least. This was a very good eyepiece that I had at the same time as the 31mm Nagler, it heald its  own very well. I even read a CN review where the writer prefered the Meade.  I feel I only got rid because the Meade was Blue and black, don't they say say Blue and Green should not be seen.

Alan

I've owned the 30mm ES 82 as well. Great EP if you don't wear glasses. Sometimes I sketch, and I need reading glasses to do this, so I chose the 28mm ES 68 and got rid of the 30mm ES 82.

I find the 28mm ES 68 a lot more comfy even when I am not sketching and observing w/o glasses. 

Congrats on your new eyepiece mate!

Cheers!

Nice writup. Getting the right contrast can be tricky. I'm not good with big exit pupils. But, I did enjoy this eyepiece. To be fair, It starts to struggle at much faster than F5. But from then on it really flies.?. Realistically, making a better corrected eyepiece for double the price would be a big ask.

Paradoxically my most memorable views were wide fields as Astro dark was failing with the coming dawn.

Enjoy the monster eyepiece.

Paul

Archived