Narrowband

Did i capture a supernova in M63?

Jannis

So i was looking around the forum for images of M63 and compared with my own.

I came across Barry-Wilson's awesome M63 image and decided to do a more detailed comparison with my own and aligned the images. I noticed i still have miles to go to get to that detail level, but i also did notice something else...!
I first thought it was a hot pixel or other artifacts in my image, but then thought it simply can't be - it's shape and size is way off for that.

I then compared it to The-MathMog's fresh and nice M63 image as well to confirm, and sure enough, the bright "star" was in his picture as well!

After some googling I think I've captured Supernova 2017dfc. I wasn't the first to notice this one though, but i don't think many people have captured it yet either! :)
I hope you guys (The-MathMog and Barry-Wilson) don't mind that i copy a section from your images for comparison?  

This is my image from the 17. and 18., of April 2017:

58fe7a994d6ce_m63SN.jpg.21bf522ffa62f97b941c7849fa375269.jpg

This is The-MathMog's M63 (from the 24. April 2017?):

58fe7a9bbc9aa_m63SNThe-MathMog.jpg.a92eeeb70e309a1814754729d1af02c5.jpg

And this is Barry-Wilson's M63 (from between 1. February and 2. April 2017?), snowing no SN at all:

58fe7a9ee9a32_m63noSNBarry-Wilson.jpg.83f863f98a90972a6e286574332cc013.jpg

Guys, am i understanding it correct here that this supernova is in fact not in M63 after all, but if from a galaxy far behind it?

If my understanding and math is correct this supernova is from around 1000 million light years away?

3 hours ago, Jannis said:

Guys, am i understanding it correct here that this supernova is in fact not in M63 after all, but if from a galaxy far behind it?

If my understanding and math is correct this supernova is from around 1000 million light years away?

This is very cool, and thanks for using and informing me on this! Yeah, I understood it the same way. They mentioned that the supernova was 40 times further away than M63, because of the redshift. And since M63 is +-27 million lightyears out, that is about right. Incredible to think of how much energy was released to be this bright on such a distance.

Archived