SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observing Hood - Are they any good?

Alan White

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Richard Hather said:

Did you end up buying one of the observing hoods Alan?

If so what are your thoughts on it?

No Richard I didn't

Mainly because I am a tight wad and also I hurt my back and have been limited in observing.
What I did do was just wear a hoodie in the spring over or under layers and it worked fairly well, 
the manufacturered hoods look bigger than a hoodie though, so I may get one for winter.

21 minutes ago, Alan White said:

No Richard I didn't

Mainly because I am a tight wad and also I hurt my back and have been limited in observing.
What I did do was just wear a hoodie in the spring over or under layers and it worked fairly well, 
the manufacturered hoods look bigger than a hoodie though, so I may get one for winter.

Sorry to hear about your back Alan, I hope it gets better soon.

Ive been using a hoodie up until this point, but the extra light from my neighbours pushed me to look for an alternative.

So I put my order in this morning and it's on it's way, so I will let you know if it was worth the money ?

One additional benefit of some sort of hood (my wife took an old pair of black trousers with a torn knee and cut off one leg and most of the other, stitching it into a black tube) is when using filters.  In light polluted skies, an Ultrablock or Sky Glow or any number of other broad band filters works to limit the stray light sneaking in, but even in very dark skies the use of narrow band filters (O-III, Swan, H-Beta, UHC, etc.) makes nebulae come alive.  In either case, the wavelengths blocked by the filter can sneak in from behind the observer and reflect off of the coating on the filter and right back into the eye.  The hood blocks this back-scatter, with remarkable results.  When doing public outreach, I just advise the visitor to use their nose on one side of the eyepiece and their hand by their temple on the opposite side.  Not as effective as a hood, but improves the efficiency of sharing with many visitors when showing nebulae.

Archived