SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Threat to Brecon Beacons dark sky status?

old_eyes

Just seen an item on BBC news Wales saying that new LED lighting in the Brecon Beacons is threatening the dark sky status of the park.

Anyone know any more?

I thought that properly designed LED lighting could be an improvement on older systems.

I've just returned from a long weekend in Cwmdu at the Astrocamp. An amazing time with three clear nights, but as Paul says in the video on the BBC news, there was much more skyglow now than last May. The people I spoke to in the Cwmdu did not like the new lights, they've had to install extra thick curtains and blackout blinds to dim the spillage into their homes. The Brecons Park did not ask, nor was consulted about the new lights...they were installed by the Highways Agency of Wales. It's a worrying trend, because I am sure that other councils will follow suit to fit these lights..

Where does it end? The astro community as a whole did not managed to get the required number of signatures on the petition last year, I recall...maybe we are too few in numbers and a minority?  We are losing the "dark" that's for sure.

Chris

2 hours ago, Cjg said: 

Where does it end? The astro community as a whole did not managed to get the required number of signatures on the petition last year, I recall...maybe we are too few in numbers and a minority?  We are losing the "dark" that's for sure.

Chris

Maybe it's time for another one to be started on SGL with a nice "Bright " title page

With 50000 + members on this site then if we all chip in then that is one big astro voice to be heard☺

17 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

Maybe it's time for another one to be started on SGL with a nice "Bright " title page

With 50000 + members on this site then if we all chip in then that is one big astro voice to be heard☺

I would sign it happily as I am sure many others would if asked.

I got to AstroCamp on Tuesday last week. I got there early so I could have plenty of time test the new motherboard I replaced in the EQ8 and test the EQmod pulse guiding. AS the evening drew in I started to notice the new village street lights. This is the image I took of the lower field of the campsite and posted it on the AstroCamp Face Book page straight away. This resulted in a lot of activity and people contacting all sorts of organisations , local councillors and national politicians. The villagers of Cwmdu and the campsite owners are opposed to the new bright lights.  BBC Wales came up on Sunday to interview one of the organisers, they  used my image at the beginning of the report. 

The AstroCamp organisers arranged a paper petition in the village and are arranging online versions soon. Hopefully these will be posted up soon.

Cheers,

Justyn

PS Please feel free to use my image to protest/highlight the cause. The Brecon beacons is a designated Dark Sky Reserve!!!!!!!

17952669_10206745177226288_7502686866636186143_n.jpg

The increased light pollution problem at Cwmdu is not confined to the village LED streetlights but the skyglow on the southern horizon due to LEDs in neighbouring towns is now a whitish light, broader and taller, than the the previous yellow light pollution. Fixing Cwmdu lights by dimming and shrouding wont alter this. The SQM readings I took over the weekend were not that different from those taken before the National Park applied for Dark Sky Reserve status.

Archived