SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which beginner telescope?

When you get it setup see how easy the base turns with the scope attached. Mine was fairly stiff even with the nut and bolt not tightened. I think it was someone on here who pointed me towards a modification which involves making a couple of washers from plastic milk bottles inserted between the bases. I also used a good amount of furniture polish which along with the milk bottle washer modification makes the base/scope turn much more easily. This easier turning you will find makes tracking planets etc. alot more doable with scope/image being jerky.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Moor said:

Very nice, I would love to go for one of those however I fear I would be sleeping alongside it in the garage if I did. 

Your Midnight Mistress ---??

(- I'm using a plastic cover for garden furniture for my 8", that lives in the shed)

Stephan

that's a good buy you've got there and a great scope. Not much more to add other than to say welcome.

An EQ platform is on my list of possible purchases in the future - though I think there are plans around if you fancy making your own.

TLAO: I was using it last night, if nothing else, it is a good tool for having some kind of plan - and most things in it are visible in LP skies.

Moon Filter: Opinion is divided - I have a 2" variable one that screws into my extension tube, and adapter, so I don't need to swap it when changing EPs and I can spin the adapter to change the polarization

4 hours ago, Charic said:

Good idea.
Moon filter? Sunglasses (honest) work well, as does leaving the dust cap on the end of the telescope, only removing  the smaller 2" cap ( only one removes - the other one is the storage point? remove one, place it on the other for safe keeping ) Yes this reduces the light levels that are blinding sometimes, but not damaging!!!!! It also changes the parameters of the scope, so instead of viewing with an 8" f/6 scope, your effectively using a 2" f/24 scope, but on the Moon, your just going to see a dimmed Moon. Try it!

Two more things? only use one of the supplied eyepiece adaptors (not both together ) otherwise you won't achieve focus, and on the focuser, there is a focus lock adjuster, just make sure its loose when you operate the focuser, i.e. adjust the focuser, ensuring the focuser moves in/out. If it doesn't  the lock is applied.

Sunglasses sounds logical, also saves me a few quid :) 

4 hours ago, JOC said:

In case it is of use don't forget that you may not need a moon filter (NB.  I also wear spectacles).  I've read on SGL that some people clearly feel it is too bright for them, however, I don't find any issue with it and am quite happy to view it unfiltered.  You will also have a couple of other options. 

The telescope should come with a big plastic insert type cover with two smaller indented circles in it.  One of these has a lid that you can pull off (put the lid on the other indent so you don't lose it) once taken off the aperture is reduced and this removes a lot of the brightness of the moon and other bright objects (of course there is are also downsides of making the aperture smaller, but on something as big as the moon it certainly works).  The problems with the filters is that as you change EPs you have to really swap the filter onto each new EP, there is a ruse whereby you raise the plastic eye cups and sit the filter in the top, but I worry about it dropping out as I move the EP and forget about it. You could also just put on a pair sunglasses.  :-D

I will swap between sunglasses and changing the caps and see whats most effective.

4 hours ago, Chefgage said:

A handy 'extra' i find usefull is a head torch. I got one from ebay that has both a red light which is ideal for reading star charts and not ruining your night vision and also a white light which i use when i have finished for the night and ready to pack up. 

The seller has included a red light which is a bonus

4 hours ago, Chefgage said:

When you get it setup see how easy the base turns with the scope attached. Mine was fairly stiff even with the nut and bolt not tightened. I think it was someone on here who pointed me towards a modification which involves making a couple of washers from plastic milk bottles inserted between the bases. I also used a good amount of furniture polish which along with the milk bottle washer modification makes the base/scope turn much more easily. This easier turning you will find makes tracking planets etc. alot more doable with scope/image being jerky.

Great tip, thanks very much for that

3 hours ago, Nyctimene said:

Your Midnight Mistress ---??

(- I'm using a plastic cover for garden furniture for my 8", that lives in the shed)

Stephan

She's a bit cold to be my mistress ;) Not sure how men can afford more than one woman anyway!

3 hours ago, rockystar said:

that's a good buy you've got there and a great scope. Not much more to add other than to say welcome.

An EQ platform is on my list of possible purchases in the future - though I think there are plans around if you fancy making your own.

TLAO: I was using it last night, if nothing else, it is a good tool for having some kind of plan - and most things in it are visible in LP skies.

Moon Filter: Opinion is divided - I have a 2" variable one that screws into my extension tube, and adapter, so I don't need to swap it when changing EPs and I can spin the adapter to change the polarization

I have looked at the EQ platform, doesn't look too difficult however I feel it needs to have fairly accurate measurement to be any good. I think a nudge every now and again will do me.

I have had some pictures through from the seller, there is the finding scope, 2 eyepieces in the box, should there be anything more?

He's also included a planisphere, a star guide, a red torch and a star spotting book which is very generous. Im looking forwarding to picking it up :)

22 minutes ago, Moor said:

I have had some pictures through from the seller, there is the finding scope, 2 eyepieces in the box, should there be anything more?

He's also included a planisphere, a star guide, a red torch and a star spotting book which is very generous. Im looking forwarding to picking it up

The finderscope and 2 EP's sounds right to me.  Generous extras are good too.  Make sure you also get the base!! LOL

23 minutes ago, JOC said:

The finderscope and 2 EP's sounds right to me.  Generous extras are good too.  Make sure you also get the base!! LOL

LOL, base and tube are definitely there, good to know everything that should be there is there.  It all looks in superb condition, so good in fact I sent him an extra tenner for the extras, seems only fair.

I picked the telescope up yesterday and put it together this morning. It's in great condition, a bit grubby but nothing half an hour of cleaning couldn't fix, looks like new now. Everything bar the caps for the 25mm eyepiece are there, the only slight concern is that the focus knobs turn very freely with next to no resistance, is this normal?

Edit: the thumbscrew just needed loosening, focuses fine now.

FWIW I have just bought the Oxford chimnea cover (the wider one of the 2 on ebay) and it is quite brilliant cover and near perfect fit for the flextube for £8.99

6 hours ago, JOC said:

FWIW I have just bought the Oxford chimnea cover (the wider one of the 2 on ebay) and it is quite brilliant cover and near perfect fit for the flextube for £8.99

Sounds perfect, do you have a link?

Here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361644973591?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

£9.95 not £8.99 I bought a couple of items that day and was posting above from memory - check the length if you have a full size 200P, but it certainly fits over the tube end - I could argue that its slightly wide at the top, but in my book that's better than being too narrow and if that looks a problem just sew a black tape in the idle of the tape at the back and use it to tie the cover in a little tighter at the top - though I'm not going to bother with changing mine.  It's a good thickness for the cash and I'm sure will be waterproof as it is described as.

2 hours ago, JOC said:

Here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361644973591?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

£9.95 not £8.99 I bought a couple of items that day and was posting above from memory - check the length if you have a full size 200P, but it certainly fits over the tube end - I could argue that its slightly wide at the top, but in my book that's better than being too narrow and if that looks a problem just sew a black tape in the idle of the tape at the back and use it to tie the cover in a little tighter at the top - though I'm not going to bother with changing mine.  It's a good thickness for the cash and I'm sure will be waterproof as it is described as.

Thanks for that, unfortunately it's too short for mine, I'm sure there will be something out there that suits.

My base doesn't turn that easily, I need to take it apart tomorrow and see if a bit of furniture wax helps.

I have read several times on here that folks have that problem with the mounts on these manual telescopes so that could indeed be the way to go.   On my version tbe motor is supposed to turn it and then the 'sticktion', aas someone on here called it, is supposed to be there so the scope stays where the motor puts it.   However, I believe with a manual mount you can use furniture polish to your hearts content.  There are plenty on SGL that will confirm ir otherwise.  A teflon spray may also work?

I had a read last night and bar the wax option, which I'm not convinced will make too much difference, there are 2 popular methods, ebonystar kitchen laminate discs as gliders or lazy Susan bearings. I can't find any UK supplier of ebonystar so the bearings might be the only option, seems a simple mod though.

Ebonystar is no more.  The manufacturer discontinued it.  I have recently read of a moistened bar of soap being used, and rubbed along the path where the Teflon pads come into contact.

53 minutes ago, Alan64 said:

Ebonystar is no more.  The manufacturer discontinued it.  I have recently read of a moistened bar of soap being used, and rubbed along the path where the Teflon pads come into contact.

I thought so, all posts mentioning seem to be at least a couple of years old. I had also thought teflon tape on the lower board to line up with the upper boards gliders might work, its cheap so if it doesn't do much there won't be much lost.

Interesting, I think sourcing it might be a pain though so I have ordered some teflon tape instead which I am going to tape around the edge of the lower base, I am going to cover the washers too and possibly the gliders if needed, I think it should make enough of a difference for me.

32 minutes ago, rockystar said:

are there any issues with a bit of old fashioned grease?

Probably would do the job just fine, it's messy and attracts dirt though, I like things clean ?

Well I tried the teflon tape and it didn't work, because I had to cut lots of small pieces of tape and butt them against each other to get the arc the gliders follow they caught on the tape and ripped them off. I waxed the area the gliders run and it's marginally better and will do for now, the tape did work for the up and down movement, much smoother now. 

I also managed to have a quick look out last night during breaks in the clouds. Although it wasn't as dark as I would have liked I got a reasonable view of Jupiter, very pleased with my purchase :)

Ebony star is just a form of Formica (laminate countertop) with a pebbly, yet glossy, finish to reduce the surface area touching your gliders.  Visit a home improvement store and look at the samples to locate something similar.  The more surface area contact, the greater the "stiction".

As far as gliders, if you can't locate virgin Teflon or nylon blocks, try furniture glides that attach to the bottom of chairs.  Again, a home improvement store would be a good place to start in locating some.  Teflon can be a bit too slick while nylon often provides a nice middle ground between too little and too much stiction.

Welcome aboard from land down under

The Skywatcher 10" dob comes with a 25mm and 10mm eyepiece

With club belong to, we go into schools, and do space badge for scout/guide groups

I have a 17mm wide angle eyepiece, which use most of the time, and when doing displays with 7-9 yo's, they find it easy to view through

Also recommend getting a moon filter, as blocks out the glare, and gives a sharper crisper image

Also have a Skywatcher ED80 on a EQ5 mount, for astrophotography

Enjoy your adventure

John

Archived