Narrowband

Great Jupiter tonight 23_4_17

Chris

Just had a great session with the 150p f/8 Dob tonight. The seeing is really steady at the moment, allowing me to crank up the mag right to 200x with the 15mm Plossl and 2.5x Barlow, and still the image remained fairly rock solid.

At 200x the image scale was nice and juicy, Jupiter showed some lovely colour, especially the orange in the GRS and some pink shades in one of the main weather belts. Lots of subtle details flashing in and out of the weather belts so plenty to see at the moment.

Could have done with some RA tracking, would have loved to have sketched or imaged Jupiter how it was tonight, but oh well, at least I got to have maybe my 3rd/4th best visual Jupiter session in recent memory :) 

Also had a quick look at M81/82 before packing up.

I'll tell you how good it was tonight, I actually got round to dragging a dining room chair outside to get comfy! :) 

Very nice report. Jupiter can be very rewarding. Had a look myself this evening, and once the seeing settled down there was a lot to be seen. I captured some data as well, but I also took time just to admire the sight. At times I could even go up to 290x with the XW 7, though the XW 10 (203x) and Delos 8mm (245x) were mostly better.

Yes nice report Chris. I've just come in, had the big dob out & Jupiter was indeed excellent. 207x mostly but had a good look at 277x as well. Missed the grs as I didn't get out until just after 11.

Nice report Chris, I reckon 6" is the sweet spot for many of the nights we get. Glad you managed to get out and have a good session. I had a brief session last night too and the conditions were very good once Jupiter had risen to a decent altitude. I tried the new 7mm eyepice in the Tal config giving 140x and the detail was very good indeed (floaters not a problem for me at this mag)  with orange GRS easily visible, numerous belts visible and two prominent dark festoons in the North Equatorial Belt. 

Nice report Chris. Sounds like conditions were excellent for you. I was messing around with Binoviewers at low power last night, just checking if I could reach focus but when I had a look at Jupiter it did look very steady.

Good to hear your got some good time at the eyepiece. I saw that the sky was clear and looked pretty good but I had to get some sleep before work.

I did show my youngest Jupiter out of the window at bedtime with mk1 eyeballs!

Archived