Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My portable "observatory "

David Mears

4 hours ago, Chris Lock said:

Now that looks interesting! I would love to know the thinking behind it, and what scope you're sticking in there, if you don't mind sharing? :) 

I have a skywatcher p200 with a goto mount. The mount is heavy and this will save lugging it in & out and setting up, I am going to wait until the forecast is clear and leave it out for a few days. I have tested it and it stays dry and stands the wind. All I have to do is unpeg the guy ropes and wheel it round, job done.

Though it looks well constructed if the plan is to leave it out for several days I hope you have a secure back garden. 

Which brings me to a series of thoughts I keep having when I see portable observatories and tent structures online.  Why? 

If someone has a 'solidly built'  observatory I can perhaps get the bit about not needing to lug gear in and out for each session particularly if its large and awkward as a great many folks seem to have.  However, it seems to me that once built (if in any fixed location) you are then kind of limited in terms of where you can view from.  I can't see that they provide any protection from the elements since they all have to be considerably 'open' to use.  So what is their biggest benefit - is it being able to leave gear in-situ, do they provide viewing light protection?  Do the advantages make up for them being in a fixed location - I keep looking at them and think of the way I can set up all around our 'taller than average' house to see whatever bit of the sky I might want to and wonder if I want one or not.

12 hours ago, JOC said:

Though it looks well constructed if the plan is to leave it out for several days I hope you have a secure back garden. 

Which brings me to a series of thoughts I keep having when I see portable observatories and tent structures online.  Why? 

If someone has a 'solidly built'  observatory I can perhaps get the bit about not needing to lug gear in and out for each session particularly if its large and awkward as a great many folks seem to have.  However, it seems to me that once built (if in any fixed location) you are then kind of limited in terms of where you can view from.  I can't see that they provide any protection from the elements since they all have to be considerably 'open' to use.  So what is their biggest benefit - is it being able to leave gear in-situ, do they provide viewing light protection?  Do the advantages make up for them being in a fixed location - I keep looking at them and think of the way I can set up all around our 'taller than average' house to see whatever bit of the sky I might want to and wonder if I want one or not.

An Observatory in the garden usually has viewing restrictions but if you use an EQ mount it saves a lot of time and frustration.

My HEQ5 & scope etc. takes about 40 minutes to set up and be ready to observe and have been frustrated many times getting all set up and finding the clouds rolling in, now with my Obsy I am up and running in about 5 - 10 minutes and shut up in about 5 minutes so it maximises viewing/imaging time.

My Obsy isn't up and running yet (Re-build/upgrade in progress) and I often think "Can't be bothered cause the clouds will roll in".

I have a mount in the Obsy and my HEQ5 for trips to a darksite.

Archived