Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSS Register & binning

I recently took my L subs binned 1x1 and the RGB colour channels using 2x2, with matched binning for the relevant calibration frames.  On attempting to Register in DSS I get the message: The checked images are not compatible (width, height, number of colours, number of channels, only one master dark, offset and flat) .

There is a full set of subs and calibration frames, what am I doing wrong - is it the mixed binning or something else?

Thanks, Graham

Update - I can see now looking at the DSS records that the size of the 1x1 binned images are 4656 x 3520 and the 2x2 are 2328 x 1760.  So that explains they're not the same size so how can I deal with them?  If I stack the sets separately the L-subs and the RGB-subs will not be registered together, will they still align when in post-processing?   

Update-2: OK by separating the 1x1 and 2x2 images they have now stacked but..... when I put them into PS the 2x2 (colour) frames are smaller than the 1x1 luminance ones - perhaps not surprising given they were different sizes.  So how can I use the different sets of images together, or can I? 

OK, you need to re-size and register the binned subs.  I do this in Registar, works a treat.  I am 99.9% certain that DSS cannot do this.  

There could be other software that can, I tried to use Maxim once, but found it was a bit unreliable.  I think I also tried nebulosity also with unsatisfactory results, but Registar does the job perfectly every time.  Because of the poor weather and little opportunity to get to dark skies, I tend to bin the RGB or Oiii and Sii almost every time.  

I have several scopes of different sizes and 3 cameras too and can combine data from the different scopes and cameras, Registar is a godsend. 

Registar is not free, but worth every penny:

https://aurigaimaging.com/download/download.php

Carole 

If you in DSS selected "standard", instead of "intersection" or "mosaic" the 2x2 bin frames should be exactly half the size of the 1x1 bin frames. This simply mean you need to double the size. Can be done in most programs, even MS paint. :)

DSS is very picky indeed. Just 1 pixel off and it won't stack and align, so it's critical they are identical. Because of this I also tend to stack data separately and use registar for aligning, but it's not a free program.

I haven't tried this myself, but if you have enough frames, it could maybe work to check the "2x drizzle" option in DSS for the 2x2 BIN files? It will create a 2x sized image, but naturally at the cost of SNR.
If it works it could both simplify the process of resizing and also maybe recover some lost resolution (unlike when resizing afterwards).

OK thanks. As mentioned, I did successfully stack the images buy separating the 1x1 and 2x2 data which gives me stacked images which, as you say, are exactly x2 different.  Do I just double the size in PS - in the case of the RGB stacked images from 2328 x 1760 to match the luminance images which are 4656 x 3520?     

Correct, in PS just select select 200% size for the images that you captured with 2x2 and save. DSS should then be able to "stack" (or simply align) the channel images for you.

If you used a filter wheel for the channels and haven't changed the camera position at all you might also simply resize and align manually in PS though.

Archived