Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen Advanced Polaris mount - why / why not?

pystab

the GP payload is underrated... i've imaged with my 10" newt (12kg all together) on one without any issue. so good in fact that even though my az eq6-gt arrives today, i might just hang on to the GP and stick a 6" F4 on it for wider field stuff.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, marcus_z said:

Fortunately, I did not have problems and haven't heard of any.  It seems like the few people who have vixen mounts don't complain in fora.

The GPE & GPDEX are great mounts when they came out (and still are). The 1st try to get something better was a real fiasco. Bad electronics and motors on the 1st generation of SXW/SXD. I hope they fixed it now but for me vixen is out of the game. I'm more for "made in europe".

• Like 1

F15Rules: Thanks for asking ;) As planned I have been using my GPE with an old long-focus 4" achromat the last few months, though not as much as I'd wanted to because of poor weather in the autumn. My aim was practice, having been away from amateur astronomy for many years. I have learned that the GP on a HAL130 tripod is a solid, competent little mount, quite capable of carrying the achro without distracting vibrations, due either to touching the scope (eg to change focus) or to the wind. It seems to be a long way from its capacity limit. And the whisper-quiet motor drive (my first ever) is a real boon, even if just for tracking.

However, I'm not yet convinced it's a "pleasure to use", which was the original aim that led to my question about the Advanced Polaris. Hunting around in the dark for axis clamps and/or motor clutches (so that I can point the scope at a new object) is a real irritation IMO, even after memorising where on the mount they are. I suspect the AP may be better for this - I understand you can push it where you want or turn the slo-mo knobs, and when you let go the clock drive just takes over, no hunting for clamps or clutches. marcus_z, any comments? AFAIK, you are the only Advanced Polaris user on this forum!

No photo I'm afraid. It just looks like a green GP mount... My only mod is to replace the 8x D cell battery pack with a pair of USB power banks (the type used to top up your phone while out and about) connected in series - smaller, lighter, and rechargable. Oh, and some velcro to stick the handset onto one of the tripod legs.

Tim.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pystab said:

I understand you can push it where you want or turn the slo-mo knobs, and when you let go the clock drive just takes over, no hunting for clamps or clutches. marcus_z, any comments?

Hi Tim, that's it exactly. You can use it like a porta and move the scope freely without clutches. For fine movements you either turn the knobs or, on the motorized axes, you press buttons on the Starbook One.

I just want to make clear, that the FC-100D is at the limit of this mount. With the tripod legs not fully extended it definitely helps. Focusing at 200x needs a fine focus, because of vibrations. I usually sit on an astro-chair to reduce jitter. When you change from a lighter to a larger eyepiece you'll notice that it sags (e.g. when swithing from Tak LE5 to an Ethos 4.7). However, I have had really good observing sessions with this setup, but some of us could be disappointed. An ED81S/SD81S might be a far better match. Before the Tak I had an 80/480 triplet on the mount which was a perfect match. I recently acquired a 150/600 Newton which seems to be a good match for the AP as well. A 4" long focus refractor is definitely not recommended.

Edited by marcus_z

Lovely setup Jeremy. I have had a couple of Vixen GPs and love them, would really enjoy a GPDX, SkySensor works very well plus even at 20 year (+) old it will still interface with SkySafari! Amazing.

I've just remembered, I also had a lovely Atlux with SS2000, great mount.

• Like 1

Thanks for the details, Marcus. I think I would be concerned about being at the limit of the mount's capacity. Dave, I'm sure my frustration with using the GP's clamps will dissipate with experience, but I'm not there yet ...

• 1 year later...

Hi,

My name is Peter and I am living in the locality of Cologne, Germany. I have a second hand Vixen r114m mounted on an unpowered GPE mount.

I am relatively new to astronomy and a complete newbie when it comes to motors, axes drives etc

My plan is to upgrade to a 150mm or perhaps a 200mm reflector later on in the year. Reading the above comments seem to indicate this is feasible.

My question is what are my options for adding a RA-drive to the GPE? Are any non-Vixen modern ones I could use?

Many thanks for any feedback!

Peter

41 minutes ago, pete_gamby said:

Skywatcher EQ3/EQ5 motors are compatible with the GP series mounts including the GPE.

Available from the forum sponsors:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/enhanced-dual-axis-dc-motor-drives-for-eq-5.html

Best regards, Pete

Thanks a lot for the prompt response, appreciate it!

• 2 years later...
On 14/12/2021 at 00:40, JoeG said:

Polaris Mount is great!  It’s light weight, easy to use and has quiet motors.  I mount a Celestron C6 and Vixen ED 80 sf.

Lovely looking set up. I picked up one used for 1/2 price and am amazed at what a great design it is. The only one niggle I have with it, is that the polarscope cover appears to be made from egg-shell!

20211216_110935.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Lovely looking set up. I picked up one used for 1/2 price and am amazed at what a great design it is. The only one niggle I have with it, is that the polarscope cover appears to be made from egg-shell!

20211216_110935.jpg

Vixen mounts are always nice, but always have a niggle such as the plastic coverrs or similar.
That poor GP looks sad, cast to the side.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Franklin said:

It's not cast to the side Alan, the GP2 is my main mount, the 4" ED gets pride of place on that!

Glad that is the case and thought it was still loved.
Miss my GP2, sellers regret as is often the case, nice solid mount for a 4" refractor

• Like 1

Just now, Alan White said:

nice solid mount for a 4" refractor

Absolutely. I had toyed with the idea of selling it on now I have the AP, but as much as the AP is a very nicely designed and engineered mount, I think it only has capacity for a 3" sized refractor. Vixens 6kg rating seems a bit ambitious to me, so the GP2 isn't going anywhere. Well, not unless a nice Losmandy G8 comes my way.😀

• Like 1