Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

richardlawler

Starlight Live post-processing

Hello, all.

I acquired an Ultrastar C for EAA last fall. (I only got a few chances to use it over the winter, but we got some desperately needed rain instead. So that's ok.)

The Ultrastar C has been astounding on the few evenings where the fates have yielded to properly working equipment and clear skies.

I'm looking for pointers to tools and techniques for post-processing the color FITs image stacks captured from Starlight Live. I'm on a Mac so that limits some of the software options available. 

The docs for Starlight Live say there is a command line option ('-load-image-rggb') to reload a color FITs file into the program. Does this work from a Mac command line? 

Are there any other Mac programs that can read the Bayer RGGB color FITs files exported from Starlight Live for manipulation. Or something that can demosaic and export the files for manipulation in Photoshop? Maybe Nebulosity4.

TIA.

- Richard

Edited by richardlawler
update tag

18 minutes ago, richardlawler said:

The docs for Starlight Live say there is a command line option ('-load-image-rggb') to reload a color FITs file into the program. Does this work from a Mac command line? 

Update: I found this command worked:

/Applications/StarlightLive.app/Contents/MacOS/StarlightLive -load-image-rggb Bodes_17x15s_median_2017.4.21_00.17.34.fit

Edited by richardlawler

And this command too:

open -a StarlightLive --args -load-image-rggb ~/Pictures/Astro\ Photos/Bodes_35x15s_median_2017.4.21_09.25.28.fit

Note the full path and file name are required for the image file.

I have an Ultrastar and a Lodestar X2C and use Nebulosity on both Mac and PC to post-process EAA captures, which all works well.  Although I confess that this year I'm concentrating on mono rather than colour.

I find the easiest approach is to stick to a single exposure setting for the whole session, say 60s, and just let the FITS capture run, only changing the target name when I slew.  I also use bias and a bad pixel map, both of which Nebulosity supports well and both are independent of exposure.

I posted some comparisons of EAA captures and post-processed FITS recently here: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKB said:

I posted some comparisons of EAA captures and post-processed FITS recently here: 

Thanks, that's exactly the sort of information and experience I'm looking for.

I've been trying out Nebulosity, and it looks like it can do the sorts of things I want to do "the morning after" with the FITS files captured from Starlight Live.

I can't get Nebulosity 4 to see the Ultrastar C camera from the Mac. (I've not tried it on a PC.)  I don't know if that's a bug or just a gap in the supported cameras. But it's probably not necessary with Starlight Live doing the image and dark frame capture. Although Starlight Live doesn't capture bias or light frames AFAIK. 

46 minutes ago, richardlawler said:

Although Starlight Live doesn't capture bias or light frames AFAIK

No, it uses darks, but I do use it to capture bias frames for use in Nebulosity. 

• Like 1

Starlight Live has a dark frame mode to capture darks (which are not applied to any of the raw image FITS files - only to the live stack). You can capture a bias with a 1ms exposure (but the bias is reasonably well contained in the dark) and you can capture flat frames by following the same as image capture but turn off live stacking.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2017 at 11:05, Paul81 said:

Starlight Live has a dark frame mode to capture darks (which are not applied to any of the raw image FITS files - only to the live stack). You can capture a bias with a 1ms exposure (but the bias is reasonably well contained in the dark) and you can capture flat frames by following the same as image capture but turn off live stacking.

Thanks Paul.

I forgot that with the 3.3 exposure control I can now go down to 1ms. I guess darks encapsulate bias as long as the exposure is the same as the light frames. So I should be good if I standardize on an exposure time for most of my images (as AKB suggests above) and the temperature doesn't vary too much.

Flat fields might still be helpful, depending on the optics. But a few experiments with various optical configurations should determine if there's anything to gain. 

In spite of my desire to post-process, I'm really trying to keep it simple. I've learned the hard way that it's easy to get lost in the details with astro imaging. By focusing on EAA I'm able to keep it fun and interesting and thus not get bogged down. 

Edited by richardlawler
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By arkosg
      Hello everyone!  
      After a pretty dreary September and part of October, I was finally able to get out with students to do some viewing.  Here are some of the objects viewed over two nights using Starlight Live software on my Borg 77edii (f/4) and Borg 125SD (f/5) with a Trius 694 mono camera.  In most cases an IDAS NB-1 "nebula" filter was employed to help with the suburban light pollution in our skies.  The first night (mainly 125SD) was much steadier and drier, but along the coast we take what we can get when it isn't raining!  ;-D
      It's so much fun to see these objects from less-than-optimal skies... I often intend to quit much earlier, only to find myself saying (over and over!) "... oh, look, <object> is coming up... I should just have a look at that before I pack up."  And then another hour goes by!
      Cheers,
      - Greg A

Eastern & Western Veil

Comparison of FOV between two scopes on the NA Nebula

Again, FOV comparison on the Elephant Trunk Nebula

And again, with the Rosette Nebula

Pacman Nebula through the 125SD:

And Crab Nebula:

And the Cocoon Nebula:

Finally, a few wider shots of objects using the Borg77: Flame/Horsehead, California Nebula, Pelican Nebula and Andromeda Galaxy:

• By knobby
      Had a quick search but not found much info, I've just 'transitioned' from DSLR to a CMOS (AA 183C pro)
      Used to capture with APT or Backyard Nikon, save as RAW, DSS to stack and use autosave.tif to work on in Photoshop. Whats the general consensus on CMOS ?
      So far trying APT or Sharpcap, saving as FITS, stacking in DSS still and using autosave.tif into Photoshop. I keep seeing fits liberator mentioned ?
      Opinions gratefully received.  
    • By jkfrazier60
      I have an Ultrastar Color camera. I'm having difficulty with Starlight Live on my iMac.  I have the latest version installed.  When I load the software the camera is connected, but when I try to acquire an image, I never see anything.  The bar at the left bottom of the screen indicates the image is being acquired, but the software image screen remains black no matter how I change the exposure settings.  It works perfectly on my Windows 10 pc, but I need to use it on my iMac.  Any suggestions? 
      Thanks so much, 
      Joel
    • By DeepSkyMan
      Hi there folks, at the moment I'm primarily a traditional, through the eyepiece observer, however I'm putting together a list of components/software that I will need going forward as I venture into the realm of EAA.  Primary consideration for my EAA platform is that it be easily transportable with as small an on-site footprint as possible.  My thought is that I want to be able to control everything remotely over WiFi, I have an abhorrence for spaghetti cabling, so want to be able to keep this situation down to a minimum.  To this end I have put together a list of components which I think will facilitate the sort of observing platform that I am aiming for:

Item 1 - Polemaster from QHY and associated control software.  I have both Alt-Az and Equatorial setups, however I see the equatorial as being the primary mount for EAA, hence the investment in Polemaster.  The EQ is a Vixen SXW and the Alt-Az and Altair Astro Sabre.

Item 2 - Small footprint CCD/CMOS Astro-Camera (I'm thinking along the lines of the SX Ultrastar), and associate control software.

Item 3 - Guide camera (Although this may not be an immediate requirement bearing in mind my primary goal is near real-time observing rather than traditional CCD astro-photography).  Thinking perhaps the Altair Astro GPCAM, or perhaps an older SX Lodestar.  Associated software perhaps PHD2, what alternatives are there?

Item 4 - Computer stick or very small footprint PC capable of being fixed to either the mount or OTA, without seriously adverse weight impact.  The device needs to have integrated WiFi capability and the ability to interface to guide camera, primary camera and Polemaster.  Needs to be run from 12V DC supply.

Item 5 - Apple iPad (already acquired).

Item 4 poses the question, does such a device exists that will enable simultaneous connectivity to all three devices?
      Immediately people may think of alternatives such as the Mallincam line of products, Revolution Imager etc... however I want to try and steer clear of the older analogue technology.

Is the suggested approach realistic, in getting me to where I want to be, if not, are there alternative ways of achieving the same goal?  Would appreciate the forum’s thoughts, and in particular any insight from fellow forum members who may have taken a similar approach.  

Kind Regards
      Paul J.
    • By OlegKutkov
      Hello.
      This is my first post here and I wish to introduce a little program i wrote.
      This is a RAW to FITS batch converter. Converter supports many cameras vendors: Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Fuji, Konica, Hasselblad and so on.
      May be useful for someone who shooting space with DSLR and wanna do a real science, search for variable stars for example.
      Program is very simple (see attached screenshot), you just set input directory, output directory and few conversion options.
      You can choose how to process color channels from the RAW file.
      Possible options is:
      - convert RGB to avarage grayscale
      - store all three channels as separate images in a one FITS.
      - store all three channels in a separate FITS's
      - store only one selected channel
      Converter supports multithreading conversion, depending on your cpu/cores count.
      All data you entered in UI will store in FITS header. Some data (like exposure, date and camera model) may be acquired from the RAW file, this is preferable.

This is a free software licensed under GPLv2 license.
      You can get it on github: https://github.com/olegkutkov/Raw2Fits
      Program uses libraw library and i highly recommend to get latest stable version of this library instead of using your distro version. If you have multiple LibRaw versions on your system - please carefully check which version you linking and using in runtime. Correct Makefile if needed.
      Libraw version older than 0.17 may not correctly extract EXIF data from the RAW files.
      Also you will need cfitsio, any version is Ok.
      User interface is built with GTK3 toolkit and tested with Gnome 3, Mate and Cinnamon DE on different Mint, Debian and Fedora distributions.

After executing 'sudo make install' command this program should appear in your Applications menu
      Hope this program will be useful for someone.
      I will be glad to hear your feedback, propositions and bug reports

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.