Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just imagine...............

Rob

Just reinstalled SN pro 5 for use again. Checked whats up as at 4pm today... if only this was available at night to observe

7953_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Ahh.. all those planets to view together

Rob

Don't forget the possibility of looking at them in the daytime. I've done this at a couple of daytime outdoor events, and it's always impressive, and is great fun.

Very carefully do the initial physical alignment of your gear. Cap your main tube, put a bit of solar filter film on your finder, and do a 1-star align on the Sun. Even better if it's the time of month when the moon is daytime-visible, 'cause you can then add a moon alignment point; or use moon instead of SUn to avoid the solar filter and danger.

Then slew to Venus and use the widefield finder to look for it. It's quite visible in a 50mm finder. Add this to alignment model.

Your 8" SCT is quite capable of showing you Saturn in broad daylight, which is really spooky, once you've aligned the go-to on some easier objects so you can find it. I've even done it with a 4" refractor, although harder to find.

Obviously, be very careful when working near the sun, keep the tube capped while slewing, and leave nothing unattended if there is anyone else around.

- Richard

I've seen Venus naked-eye in the daytime. It looked like a drop of silver against the baby blue sky. Here's a few old film pics.. probably taken through the 90mm ETX.

Never saw any other planets in the daytime, though.. can it be done without a computerized scope?

post-13732-1338773457_thumb.jpg

I've seen all 6 naked eye planets in broad daylight without a computerized scope, just a well aligned C8. My vision was never good enough to see them without aid, though. Venus and Jupiter are easy in binos, mercury less so, and I've not seen Mars or Saturn with binos in the daytime.

That's how I do it "on the road", Helen. I can usually get a close enough alignment by more or less leveling the mount, locating the Sun and adjusting the mount to get the declination as close as possible. Then, if I know the declination of the planet in question, it's usually within the finder, or can be pinned down in binocs first.

CARE MUST BE TAKEN WHEN OPERATING OPTICAL EQUIPMENT IN THE PROXIMITY OF THE SUN!

Archived