Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

hi from Buckinghamshire

philipok

Hi all -

I created my SGL account last year, but this is my first post.. I'm based near Great Missenden in Buckinghamshire, which seems to be in a reasonably dark spot (relative to the rest of Bucks), although some light pollution from Amersham. Have had a 10" LX200 for about 1.5 years, just ordered a scopebuggy, as the sole reason for my poor observing record is the sheer tedium of unpacking, hauling, setting up in the dark. Now I hope I just roll it out, align and get going... save the alignment and park it.

Hoping to catch Uranus + Neptune this Sept, fingers crossed for the weekend (+ Jupiter obviously). Looking foward to using the forum!

best,

philip

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Philip, welcome to the forum.

Help me out here.....what's a scopebuggy exactly? I know what it sounds like (telescope on wheels kinda deal) but that doesn't seem right somehow.

How do you find the Meade? I was torn between Meade and Celestron when I was considering my first scope recently, eventually went for a C8 but I bet that LX of yours is a peach.

Rick

Hi Philip, welcome to the forum.

Help me out here.....what's a scopebuggy exactly? I know what it sounds like (telescope on wheels kinda deal) but that doesn't seem right somehow.

How do you find the Meade? I was torn between Meade and Celestron when I was considering my first scope recently, eventually went for a C8 but I bet that LX of yours is a peach.

Rick

Thanks Rick.. the scopebuggy (which is arriving today I hope), www.scopebuggy.com, is a t-bar with wheels, you can just wheel out the scope instead of having to do all that assembly. Hope it allows me more time to use it.. I reckon it will cut about 1 hour off the prep time (including the alignment time)..

I suppose I went for the Meade as I'd always lusted after one, but never had the money.. this was a wedding present from my wife! It's a great scope, but heavy.. i just need to use it more

Cheers

p

Welcome Philip and welcome to the forum. You're not too far from me here in Aylesbury.

thanks Storebror

Ayelsbury... that orange glow to the West! Although I think most of the light pollution in the area comes from the Firecrest pub carpark in Wendover

philip

Hi and welcome. :wave: That scope buggy is a bit expensive at $299, plus the shipping costs for the UK is $175. I reckon you could make one for less than half that.

Are they available in the UK, maybe if they are, they would be much cheaper.

Geoff :salute:

Hi Geoff - they are available in the UK, and it was either never get to use my scope or invest in it.. not cheap :? (£250), but if it means the scope gets out quickly and easily (even for a break in cloud cover), then it's worth it!

I tested it on Saturday night - very easy to use :wave:

cheers

philip

Hi Philip,

Welcome to the forum!

I live in Amersham so I'm helping to provide your light pollution - sorry mate :)

Scopebuggy sounds interesting, but a tad expensive. I have a ScopeBuggery system which is totally free. It allows me to crash through the garage trampling empty flowerpots and kids bicycles underfoot under the weight of my HEQ6. This usually involves a lot of swearing and some form of injury to me and the mount.

Ramin.

Hi Ramin - I was also using that system.. :) Break in the clouds? time to heave out the 10" and stagger under its weight down the damp garden steps.

btw Have you noticed any change in light pollution since BUcks council started dousing streetlights after midnight? they're trialling this near me

p

Archived