Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SkyTee II Slow Motion Controls

AdeKing

Hi All,

I'm hoping that someone here might be able to help me with a problem that I have.

I've recently obtained a used SkyTee II but have only just started using it as I've had to save the pennies to upgrade to the ADM Vixen Saddles.  

I was reluctant to trust my OTAs to the standard saddles following a near miss that I had with the standard saddles.

Now that I've started using the mount, I have noticed that the shafts on one side of both of the slow motion controls has been slightly bent at some point.  It may have been damaged in transit, I'm not sure.

Whilst this doesn't affect the operation of the mount, I'm afraid that it annoys me somewhat when I'm using the control knobs attached directly to the end of the shaft.  

It is less of a problem when the flexible cable controls are attached, but being slightly OCD about things like this, it still niggles me that the problem is there. 

Are there any guides out there showing how to strip down the slow motion controls of this mount as I'm a bit reluctant to strip it down until I know what I expect to find.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to remove the slow motion shafts and gently bend the shafts back into shape using a vice.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Ade

Hi

It's quite simple to remove the slo-mo controls from the SkyTee mount.

- Just remove the three hex bolts and lift off the whole slo-mo unit.

- Remove the knobs by unscrewing the two grub screws on each knob "hub".

- Undo the locking nut as seen in the photo and the shaft can then be removed.

John

SkyTee-1.jpg

Thanks John,

I was hoping you'd share your wisdom regarding the mount.  

I didn't dare hope that it would be that simple, and didn't want to open it up only for something to spring off into the depths of the summerhouse, never to be seen again.

I'll possibly give it a go tomorrow and see how I get on.

Thanks for your help,

Ade

Once you remove the slo-mo units you'll see there isn't much to them. Very simple devices. BTW the two tiny recessed grub screws in the top of the units adjusts the mesh of the worm gear.

Unfortunately just binned two of the slo-mo units the other week from a broken mount. :icon_cry:

John

Thats a shame, I wish I'd posted this some time ago now, but C'est la vie I guess.

I've seen your post regarding the broken SkyTee, did you ever get any reply from Skywatcher?

I'm now hoping that mine hasn't suffered damage which will cause a similar fate  :icon_frown:

Both bent slo-mo controls were on the same side of the mount, with both being on the end of the shaft that has the squared off sections, rather than being on the end which is solid and round, if that makes sense.

Fingers crossed there's no serious damage, but I'm not confident enough to attach the 8" Skyliner tube to it, but reasonably happy with the 6" f/5, as it didn't cost me many pennies.

Thanks for your help again,

Ade

No, unfortunately it's not under warranty as I purchased a used one.  I had a good look at these earlier and the bend in in the area where the tab is, so I think I might leave well alone given your experience.

I've given up with the flexible control on Azimuth as it just gets in the way of the counterweights when moving the scope to different targets.

I think I'll just have to live with this small flaw, as it still works fine.  It's just me being pernickety I guess.

Archived